Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > E-Flight Power Sources
Reload this Page >

Ni-Cad to Li-Po Conversion. Help Please

Community
Search
Notices
E-Flight Power Sources Ask questions or read about power sources as they specifically relate to e-flight including Lithium-ion, Li-Poly, Nimh and Nicad battery packs.

Ni-Cad to Li-Po Conversion. Help Please

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2014, 07:39 AM
magwie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ni-Cad to Li-Po Conversion. Help Please

Hello,
I've been flying a Hobbico Electristar fo quite a long time now. Set up originally used 2, 3800 mAh Ni-Cad flight/power batteries and a seperate 4.8v, 600mAh battery to power the receiver and servos.
I changed the two flight/power batteries to 2 cell Li-Po's (30c 3,800 mAh) and she fly's so much better. I haven't changed the small battery, been using the same Ni-cad that I've had for years.

Well, it's time to get a new receiver/servo battery and I was thinking I should upgrade the 4.8v / 600 mAh Ni-Cad to Li-Po. but I'm confused as to which way I should go. Would a 1s, at 3.7 volts be too little? and would a 2s, at 7.4v be too much? or should I just get a couple more Ni-Cad's and leave it the way it is?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Magwie
Old 11-22-2014, 08:38 PM
chuckk2

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'd try using a BEC instead of the extra battery.
Old 11-26-2014, 01:38 PM
magwie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you "chuckk2", After closer examination, I found that the ESC that it came with has a BEC in it. The Red/Power wire had just been removed from the receiver plug.
I think if I just reconnect the red wire, it should work just fine with just the 2 flight batteries.....I think.
Then I can do away with the switch and extra wires.

Thanks again.
Magwie