Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > E-Flight Power Sources
Reload this Page >

Lipo alarm / rush reply please

Notices
E-Flight Power Sources Ask questions or read about power sources as they specifically relate to e-flight including Lithium-ion, Li-Poly, Nimh and Nicad battery packs.

Lipo alarm / rush reply please

Old 12-27-2014, 01:50 PM
Barrrick
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lipo alarm / rush reply please

Just found [among many] , one old time INNOVATOR battery badly swollen x This is a 3S 2100 mAh type... each cell is reading different values.....ONE of the cells is reading 2.97 V and the other two read 4.13 and 4.21 V
I can discharge this battery using either a bulb or the Lithium discharger by ASTRO FLIGHT
I ask for expert opinions and advice because of the great difference between cell readings, and also afraid of exploding this battery.
The swelling is extreme, to the point that it has already cracked the plastic outer shell on both sides.
posted SAT Dec27 2014 at 4pm CST
Expert opinions are most welcome RICK
Old 12-28-2014, 07:38 AM
aymodeler
My Feedback: (3)

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I am NOT an expert, but if I was faced with this situation, I would immediately move the battery to safe location outdoors and completely discharge via a passive method (like a light bulb). Handle carefully and avoid any circumstance which could result in sparks or arcing.
Old 03-28-2015, 08:08 PM
ArcadeAir

Originally Posted by aymodeler
I am NOT an expert, but if I was faced with this situation, I would immediately move the battery to safe location outdoors and completely discharge via a passive method (like a light bulb). Handle carefully and avoid any circumstance which could result in sparks or arcing.
I could not agree more. If it does arc and start to burn, you CAN put water on it to cool it down but first and formost, move it to a safe location. It is not going to explode either. If it lights up, you can also let it burn itself out.

I just had one puff last weekend while charging... I discharged it with my balencer and threw it out.
Old 03-28-2015, 08:10 PM
ArcadeAir

Oh yea... never charge the lipo if you are not there to keep an eye on it.
Old 06-14-2015, 11:55 AM
BirdDog

I would opt for the auto bulb method for decommissioning LiPos.
Why overly tax and risk a sensitive device for something with inherent risks.