Community
Search
Notices
E-Flight Power Sources Ask questions or read about power sources as they specifically relate to e-flight including Lithium-ion, Li-Poly, Nimh and Nicad battery packs.

Solar plane

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2015, 01:42 AM
chess06

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Solar plane

Hi guyss
we are making a solar panel plane and i need you guys help. i have few questions to ask.
1- since energy is our biggest concern , does it make any difference to use 2 pieces 200w or 1 piece 400w brushless motor by consuming energy. because i have heard that using 1 400w brushless motor is more efficent.
2- should we use brushless motor or sensored brushless motor to gain more work. actually what is the biggest different between there motors.
3-and most important questions is , after calculating weight of the this plane , we need to chose motor. For example , plane is 2,3 kg and we need to choose motor. Should we choose lowest powerfull motor which can fly this plane or should we choose more powerfull motors which can easly fly this plane. of course our problem is still which is more efficent by energy.
our goal is making flying time longest
sorry for language i am still learning english i hope i expressed myself thankssss......
Old 06-06-2015, 09:02 AM
dirtybird
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1) One motor will be the most efficient.
2) I am no expert at this but I would think sensor less would be most efficient as the timing can e changed electronically.
3) Use the smallest motor. It will be lighter. Use the lowest KV motor you can find.It will allow a bigger prop. The bigger the prop the more efficient it will be.
Old 06-07-2015, 01:57 PM
Quorneng

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

chess06
The answer to your questions is there is no simple answers!
But as Dirtybird said a single motor is more efficient than two smaller ones primarily as there is only one set of bearings and yes a low kV means the motor turns more slowly allowing a bigger more efficient prop.

How 'big' the motor need to be is a bit more complicated. What you really need is the full set of motor efficiency curves so you can run the motor at its most efficient speed but you won't find them for the sort of motors we use!
The problem with almost all electric motors (brushless in particular) is they are most efficient running quite close to full power. This can be an issue with a plane as you might need quite a bit extra power at times 'to get you out of trouble'!
Fortunately brushless motors do maintain good efficiency to quite low power levels but of course having 'spare' motor power means the motor is heavier than you need most of the time and in any plane weight needs power to fly.

This also applies to the weight of the plane itself so it will pay to carefully design it to be aerodynamically efficient, as light as possible and just strong enough.

What solar cells are you intending to use?
Most Solar panels are very inefficient and are relatively heavy so any improvement in these factors will give a real benefit in the power available and reduce the power required to fly. The down side is the best and lightest cells are very expensive.

Do you have drawings or sketches?