Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > E-Flight Power Sources
Reload this Page >

Surging Prop with E-Flite Beaver with 60-amp ESC Power 32 System

Notices
E-Flight Power Sources Ask questions or read about power sources as they specifically relate to e-flight including Lithium-ion, Li-Poly, Nimh and Nicad battery packs.

Surging Prop with E-Flite Beaver with 60-amp ESC Power 32 System

Old 07-24-2016, 05:49 AM
kottwitz
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Surging Prop with E-Flite Beaver with 60-amp ESC Power 32 System

Looking for some help. I purchased this plane from an Auction and trying to sink it with my Spektrum DX6i radio. It has a AR6200
receiver. The electric motor surges and does not get up to full speed. Heed some help. Everything else is working fine.
Any Ideas?? Thanks
Old 07-25-2016, 12:38 PM
cmdl

By surges do you mean pulsates/varies in power? Is your lipo capable of the providing the drawn current? What is the current draw and what are the specs of the lipo?
Old 07-26-2016, 04:04 PM
kottwitz
My Feedback: (12)

Thank you for the reply. I have someone who asked me the same question. I will let you know the results. I have a three cell 2650 lipo. Maybe be to small. Thanks
Old 07-27-2016, 07:51 AM
cmdl

It may not be the capacity that is an issue.

Assume a new lipo of 30 C rating. Theoretical max draw = 30 x 2.65 = 79.5A. In actuality, your lipo will be able to provide ~60-75% of that = ~ 50A. Drawing higher won't cause motor pulsation, it will just heat and puff the lipo.

What I suspect is that the capacity spec is fine (theoretically) but the lipo is unable to hold voltage under load. The lipo drop in voltage results in the pulsation as the RPMs drop. The lipo voltage looks fine when checked without load. When you put a wattmeter on it, hook it up to the ESC, and throttle up, the voltage drops rapidly to below 3.7V/cell even before you hit full throttle. For this, the only thing you can do is use it in low draw planes/applications. I've seen lipos behave as such when they're stored fully charged for a long time (I'm not certain of a causal relation, just correlating based on a buddy who stores his lipos fully charged and all of his lipos are unable to hold charge under load).