Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > E-Flight Power Sources
Reload this Page >

What kind of power source to use for peak charger?

Community
Search
Notices
E-Flight Power Sources Ask questions or read about power sources as they specifically relate to e-flight including Lithium-ion, Li-Poly, Nimh and Nicad battery packs.

What kind of power source to use for peak charger?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2003, 06:00 PM
benliu
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What kind of power source to use for peak charger?

Hello,
I bought a Pinacle peak charger from E-flite to charge my NiMH batteries (8.4V 720~1000 mAh) and the E-flite charger recommend any 12V battery with capacity > 5Ah as a power source. My question is what kind of the 12V battery should I get? Auto lead-acid? Motor lead-acid? Smaller sealed lead-acid?
I am now using a sealed lead-acid from YUASA (12Ah). And I use a Schumacher (for auto shops) with 2 or 6 amp output to charge it overnight. It is nice because it comes with a current meter so I can keep an eye on the charging state. I like the sealed lead-acid battery because I think it is much safer than the regular auto batteries and because I don't want hydrogen and acid fluid (or fire harzard) in my house. Am I going the right direction?

Thanks!

Ben
Old 12-03-2003, 08:18 AM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Default RE: What kind of power source to use for peak charger?

Sealed gel cell batteries like the one you have are the choice of champions

You might also consider a bench power supply for charging at home. Once can be made from a modified PC power supply, which you can often get for a song at local computer repair shops. Radio Shack has many nice power supplies as well. There are also sources of bench power supplies online, one as inexpensive as $19 for a 12 Amp unit, IIRC. Maybe someone that has the URL for those cheap power supplies can post it?
Old 12-06-2003, 02:47 PM
Sir Crash-A-lot

Default RE: What kind of power source to use for peak charger?

PC power supply.
They're only for non-wimps though...it takes some work to get 'em right.