Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > E-Flight Power Sources
Reload this Page >

Triton, Super Brain 969 for Li-Poly

Notices
E-Flight Power Sources Ask questions or read about power sources as they specifically relate to e-flight including Lithium-ion, Li-Poly, Nimh and Nicad battery packs.

Triton, Super Brain 969 for Li-Poly

Old 12-08-2003, 02:09 PM
dive4life
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Triton, Super Brain 969 for Li-Poly

Which is the best charger for Li-Poly batteries? Looking into 11.1V 1500 3s pack and want something that will charge it and my other Li-Ion, Ni-Mh and Ni-Cd batts. Some collection I have. A good source for these would be appriciated.

Thank You,
Mike
Old 12-08-2003, 02:44 PM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Default RE: Triton, Super Brain 969 for Li-Poly

Of the chargers you list, only the Triton is capable of charging LiPolys.

The 969 may claim to charge LiPolys, but the method by which it charges LiPolys, it has many experts worried. According to the instructions, you're supposed to do a modified NiCd/NiMH charge with a fixed capacity. People that have tried charging LiPolys with a charger in NiCd/NiMH mode in the past have met with problems.
Old 12-08-2003, 02:46 PM
Dr Kiwi

I don't have either, but I have not heard a bad word about the Triton (other than perhaps not putting an absolutely full charge into Lipoly), and I think some people have had issues with the SuperBrain 969.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Cheers, Phil
Old 12-09-2003, 08:14 AM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Phil, you're spot-on with your assessment.

The issues with the 969 are not quality issues per se, but philosophical issues. The 969 does not have that "constant voltage, constant current" charge mode that's REQUIRED to safely and properly charge a LiPoly. Instead, they have you running the battery in a "fixed capacity, peak detect" mode. LiPolys do not have a "peak," and are not always fully discharged. Unless the settings detailed in the 969 manual are some sort of kluged way to get a constant-voltage, constant-current charge, the charger is not safe to use to charge LiPolys.

Of course, if you want to redecorate your house, go right ahead
Old 12-09-2003, 12:08 PM
Sprink

Perhaps should add that incorrectly charging Lipos does more than just kill the cell as it does with Nicads. They can EXPLODE.
Old 12-09-2003, 12:22 PM
A10FLYR

OK. then. How about the Hobbico Quick Field Charger MkII?

Thanks......
Old 12-24-2003, 06:07 PM
enrique1123

For the money I believe that the Triton is the best buy in the market, very user friendly and almost fool proof. You have to set the parameters correctly to get a "full" charge on your LiPo.
Old 12-27-2003, 03:06 PM
benliu

Hello,
I am thinking about getting a Triton to charge Lipo and NiMH batteries.
Is Triton a SAFE & good choice?
Thx.
Old 12-27-2003, 03:22 PM
jonnyjetprop
My Feedback: (3)

Buy a Triton. I love mine. The only "problem" is the low charge rate for Li-pos. This is only a factor if you are bigger lipo packs.

John Pursell
Old 12-28-2003, 03:32 PM
bddaly

Got a Triton for Xmas. Needs 12 volt supply. Understand a 12 volt computer power supply will do well, have several at work. Any thoughts?
Old 12-28-2003, 05:43 PM
PaulVi

http://web2.murraystate.edu/andy.bat...owersupply.htm

has instructions on converting one over.
Old 01-09-2004, 08:10 PM
tomklop

I adapted a power supply from a computer to power my triton charger. It works great. I don't remember what web site had the directions for doing it, but it was not difficult. I'd reccomend doing it.

Tom
Old 01-09-2004, 09:58 PM
ricktkenny

I have just purchased a ripmax mecury ex, this charges all kinds including lipos. Well I hope it does. You have to use manual mode and set it on the menu.

Rick
Old 01-12-2004, 08:46 PM
blademan7065
My Feedback: (15)

I have been using the Triton for over a year know and it by far the best charger that I have ever used. I would definitely recommend it to someone else.

Could't be better.
Old 02-15-2004, 05:12 PM
kevrut

Where can I get a Triton at a good price? I want it for Mi-mh, ni-cd, and Li-poly...

Thanks!
Old 02-15-2004, 06:01 PM
blademan7065

You can get them at a good price from tower hobbies.
Old 02-15-2004, 10:38 PM
zagibond

I just got a Triton and it IS PRETTY SMART. Does one need a pb cell to smooth out or clean a PC power supply Voltage?
Or can one just take the 12 V of a PC supply?
Old 02-16-2004, 12:02 PM
BasinBum
My Feedback: (2)

Zagibond,
I just got the Triton and am looking for a good way to power it as well. The converted computer power supply is very popular but after talking to my personal electronics guru I learned that they are not as stable at higher current draws as some would think. I have decided to go to a large automotive supply chain and purchase a small 12 volt battery and car charger. Since I think I should have the car charger around just in case and the battery is the most stable 12 volt source, not to mention mobile, I think this is the best combo for my needs.
Old 02-16-2004, 08:03 PM
blademan7065

DON'T USE THE BATTERY CHARGER. Don't use the charger to power the triton. The direction's say that it will directly damage the charger. If you are going to use it to recharge the battery after is goes dead that is fine. As far as the PC power supply goes, I have been using one for about a year now and have never experienced a problem. I guess if you use a power supply that has a low amperage rating you may run into a problem. Mine is an eleven amp supply. I have charged 18 cells @ 3amps with no problem. You electronics guru may not fully understand what the exact use you will be using and exactly how much current draw that these chargers really demand. It is very rare that you will charge at anything higher than 1.5 - 2 amps. The 18 cell 3amp charge was a test to see what my power supply would do. The only time that I charge 18 cells is when I am charging my starter box for an 1/8 scale buggy that I have. Everything eels is done at a much lower current. It is up to you though, my whole club uses a PC power supply and have not experienced a problem. If you are interested in one similar to mine PM me and we can talk.
Old 02-16-2004, 08:22 PM
BasinBum

Blademan,
Your absolutely correct! I just reread my post and I was not very clear in what I was trying to say. I also purchased a 12 volt car battery (actually a tractor battery, it's smaller) and a car charger. The car charger is ONLY to charge the car battery occasionally and the battery is to run the Triton at home and at the field. Don't use a car charger for anything other than charging large capacity batteries. The computer power supply does work as you have stated and you can set one up pretty cheap but the large battery is more stable a power source and portable. The whole set-up cost me $50. and if I need to charge my car it will serve double duty.
Old 02-16-2004, 10:35 PM
Clark L

Radio Shack sells a 3 amp power supply for forty or fifty bucks. I've been using it to power my Triton for several months now and it has worked fine. I've only used it for TX/RX packs and small parkflyer packs up to about eight cells. So far, so good.
Old 02-17-2004, 02:56 PM
blademan7065

I have never run into a problem using the computer power supply & I have done some pretty aggressive charging to see what they could do. I originally used a car battery before I read the article in the an AMA magazine on how to build the PC supply. I thought that it was a little redundant to charge a battery to charge a battery. I guess it is whatever works for you. I run an automotive repair center and am very well versed in charging lead acid batteries. There are two down sides to using a tractor battery. 1 don't like storing them in the house. 2 if you charge in the house the battery gives off fumes that are highly explosive & toxic. Those are the two biggest reasons that I changed over to the PC power supply. Good luck with however you decide to charge in the future.
Old 02-17-2004, 03:22 PM
BasinBum

I know what you mean about charging a battery to charge another but I don't think I'll need to charge the tractor battery very often. I have everything in the garage so fumes are not that much of an issue and I can take the battery to the field instead of killing another gel cell from using that as my fast charge source. Who knows I might change my mind in the future and build the PC power source but so far so good.

On another note... the Triton is pretty confusing and I consider myself pretty adept at figuring techical stuff out. I have a feeling that many people will never learn to use most of the features and that it will be a glorified charger for them.
Old 02-18-2004, 08:21 AM
blademan7065

you are absolutely correct on that fact. It took me about two months to learn how to use all the features in the thing. Now after using it consistently I wouldn't use any other charger, it is great.
Old 02-18-2004, 11:15 AM
BasinBum

OK, then riddle me this Blademan....I get the Discharge > Charge function for cycleing but when would you want to use the Charge> Discharge function? Wouldn't you just end up with an uncharged battery?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.