Community
Search
Notices
E-Flight Power Sources Ask questions or read about power sources as they specifically relate to e-flight including Lithium-ion, Li-Poly, Nimh and Nicad battery packs.

Best Lipo Choice

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2004, 11:48 AM
zagibond

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best Lipo Choice

I am considering taking the Lipo plunge. I own a Zagi 400x, a sky scooter, a slow stick and am building a 3DX.
I was looking at getting a pair of KOKAM 1500 3 cells and a Triton Charger.
How does that sound?
Old 01-07-2004, 11:07 PM

Default RE: Best Lipo Choice

I have the Triton, I am happy with it. I have a few different Li-Po batteries and haven't had a problem with any of them. Let see, the smalles I have is a 1 cell 280 mah and the largest is a 2 cell Thunder Power 2100. I am not familiar enough with the Zagi's to know for sure, but I was under the impression that they need lots of amps. I also have a couple of 3 cell Irate 1300 packs. The most important thing is to make sure that your Li-Poly packs can handle the amps that you need. Also read all the safety information you can find on charging and caring for your packs. Here is a link some good safety tips http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...hreadid=152536
Old 01-08-2004, 10:16 AM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

The "best LiPo choice" is the one you make

Really, you can't go wrong with any of the popular LiPoly brands on the market today: Kokam, Etec, Thunder Power. Just make sure to size the battery for the plane you're flying.

3-cell LiPolys will probably be a bit much for all the planes you currently have. The planes you list are all "7-cell" or "8-cell" ships in their stock form. A 2-cell LiPoly would be a much better fit. If you do decide to go with 3-cell packs, switch the Zagi to a 7.2V Speed 400, and use smaller props on all the other planes to keep the current down. Otherwise, the motors will burn up quickly.

You'll probably want to run both Kokam 1500 packs in parallel on the Zagi as well. It'll probably need the weight to balance, as well as the current-producing capability of both packs to deal with the ~12 Amp load on a continuous basis.
Old 01-08-2004, 10:37 AM
zagibond

Thanks for the good advice!
Old 01-12-2004, 01:41 PM
finchero
My Feedback: (-1)

if your thinking about going lithium then look toward the thunder power packs, and If your going to spend this amount on packs then you really need to look into a brushless motor. the mega 16/15/3 will work for your speed 400 planes no problem. my zagi flies with a thunder power 3s3p 7800mah( about 30 amp draw continuous) and mega 16/15/3 for about 22-30min. this is the equivalent to a 10 cell pack and she really screams.