Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > E-Flight Power Sources
Reload this Page >

Triton charging Lipo's =2 hours or more???

Community
Search
Notices
E-Flight Power Sources Ask questions or read about power sources as they specifically relate to e-flight including Lithium-ion, Li-Poly, Nimh and Nicad battery packs.

Triton charging Lipo's =2 hours or more???

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2004, 01:04 AM
Turbobruce
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Triton charging Lipo's =2 hours or more???

I recently started charging my lipos with my Triton and it's taking on average of two hours or more. Is this normal. The batteries are 3 cell 1200mah lipos(I was told they are E-techs??? from Bob at soaringusa.com) and I'm charging them at 1.2 amps with the 11.1 setting. I usually put between 800 to 1100 mah in them per charge. Why so long to charge?? Are my settings correct for my application? Any help would be appreciated.
Old 02-03-2004, 09:30 AM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Default RE: Triton charging Lipo's =2 hours or more???

First off, charging is not 100% efficient. Even if you can maintain a 1C current for the entire charge, it will take more than 1 hour to completely recharge a fully discharged battery.

Second, you can't maintain a 1C current for the entire charge with LiPoly batteries. LiPoly batteries have a maximum voltage of 4.2 Volts per cell that MUST NOT BE EXCEEDED. Overcharging damages the cells and can cause a fire!!! Because of this, the charger can only maintain a 1C current until the pack reaches 4.2 Volts per cell (i.e. 12.6 Volts total for a 3-cell pack). Charge rate (current) is determined by the difference between the pack voltage and the charger voltage. When the charger "hits the wall," that is, it reaches the maximum voltage of the pack, it can't increase voltage to maintain the charge current. The voltage of the pack keeps increasing, though, coming closer and closer to "the wall," and causing the current to decrease, making the charge take longer.

In short, it's normal. You're doing nothing wrong, and there's nothing wrong with the charger.
Old 02-08-2004, 02:02 PM
Peter Khor
My Feedback: (4)

I've found the Triton to be a little sensitive to the charging cable/wire gauge used; when I switched out 12" 22-24AWG to shorter 16-18AWG wire (also ditched the JST connectors for micro deans) I routinely fill up Etec packs in +90min or so, compared with >120min previously. When charge current is set to 1.2A (1200 packs), with the thinner wire the charge current hardly got above .8A. With the new charging harness, it'll always ramp up to 1.2A.
Old 02-14-2004, 10:52 PM
Dopesick

I'm getting a complete 1C charge rate on mine, with a triton. I went to radio shack and picked up some "test leads" and chopped the probes off (Leaving the bannana jacks) and then fitted my packs, charger leads, and ESC connectors with micro deans. No more SUB-1C charging.

The triton is also VERY careful about "top-ing off" a pack. to get my 2100mah pack to 8.4 it will charge at .1a for about 20 minutes, when 1C = 2.1a
Old 02-18-2004, 02:09 PM
RoneDogg

Dopesick,

I've also got a GWS E-Starter and a GWS Formosa (Not ready to fly yet). How long does it take to charge your Lipoly battery? When you say "20 Minutes", is that for a complete charge from nothing to full capacity? How long are your flight times with a fully charged lipo? I'm flying my E-starter with an NiMh 8.4v 700 mah for about 10-12 minutes, but It only takes about 7-9 minutes to charge. I'd like to start flying with Lipo batteries if I can get a longer flight time than 15 minutes and as long as it doesn't take a long time (30 min to 60 min) to fully charge once I've used it all up. However, I'm not sure if I need to buy a new Motor, ESC, etc. My E-Starter has the stock GWS 300 motor with a ICS 100 ESC. My Formosa has the stock GWS 350 motor with a GS 100 ESC. What Lipoly will work with this setup?

Also, I've been reading up on the reviews for the Super Brain 969 and they are not too friendly towards charging Lipo's. Unfortunately, I've already purchased the 969 it with the intent to fly Nicd, Nimh, and Lipoly batteries. Am I totally out of luck with charging using the 969 for lipoly's, or can I get away with it by being extra cautious? Should I try to replace it the the Triton?

Thanks.
Old 02-18-2004, 04:10 PM
Dopesick

I dont dischare my li-po's below 6.6 so for a full charge is about an hour and 15 to an hour and 20 minutes. Not too bad, my buddies Astroflight charges the same pack in about 55-65 Minutes

My E-Starter has a 350 Motor D Gearing, a ICS 300 ESC and I run 1080 Props. With LI-po you need to watch your flight times, or use a specific ESC that either is built for LI-po / Li-ion packs, or get one with a programable low voltage cutoff. I will be upgrading to a Castle Creations Pixie-20P
Old 02-19-2004, 07:07 PM
RoneDogg

Dopesick,

How long are your flight times with that setup?
Old 02-19-2004, 09:36 PM
Dopesick

Full throttle flights about 25-35 minutes depending on wind, that is the E-Starter.

On my Slowstick setup is GWS Mini-Std servo's, ICS-100 ESC, and a 4 channel reciever running 1180 props I get about 45 minutes full throttle flight time. Hell after about 30 minutes I start getting bored....