Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > E-Flight Power Sources
Reload this Page >

What Rate do I select to charge My Nimh??

Community
Search
Notices
E-Flight Power Sources Ask questions or read about power sources as they specifically relate to e-flight including Lithium-ion, Li-Poly, Nimh and Nicad battery packs.

What Rate do I select to charge My Nimh??

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2004, 04:09 PM
Gklugie
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What Rate do I select to charge My Nimh??

I have a 7-cell 8.4 v Nimh 600 Mah pack. At what rate should I set my MRC charger? It used to be with Nicads that slow was best. I am unsure now.
Old 02-09-2004, 08:48 PM
John C

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: What Rate do I select to charge My Nimh??

You can charge the 600 mah NiMH pack at up to 1C, or 0.6 amps. Like NiCd, slower is better. My practice is to charge at 1C at the field, but return home with a partially/discharged pack and then charge at about 0.2C to balance the cells.

All of this assumes a proper charger with good NiMH capability. I'm not
familiar with your MRC charger...I use a Triton .
Old 02-10-2004, 08:56 AM
Gklugie
My Feedback: (1)

Thanks. I have a MRC Super Brain 959. It's lowest setting is .5 amps. I think this should do it.
Old 02-14-2004, 02:27 AM
jamesft

I was looking for an answer to the same question. I also have a 959 charger and have not had much luck using the auto select or plug and play setting to charge my 1600 pack. I haven't figured out how to slow charge on this unit. How are you doing yours?
Old 02-16-2004, 04:04 PM
Greg Covey

I charge my NiMH packs at 1C or 1 times the capacity of the cell. It makes it easy to remember for all the packs.

Lithium packs always get charged at 1C or less depending upon the charger capability.

Some of my NiCd packs, however, i'll beat on during an R/C event up to 3C.
Old 02-16-2004, 07:27 PM
Rotorwing

Ok, I'm a newbie, I admit it

I have a Sanyo 2600 mAh Nickle-Metal Hydride battery subc pack and a Triton charger. I slow charged at .2 amp on the first charge. What is the max I can 'fast' charge these packs with out damage. Would it be 1C (2.6 amp) or could I safely go higher say 3.0 or even 4.0 amp. Also how long should I wait before recharging these at the field. I have read to wait at least 6 hours before recharging []
Is this true ? I would like to be recharging these packs while I am flying on the next pack.

Thanks for any advice
These forums are just great ! I'm not sure I could have ever figured any of this out with out the great help from you guys [sm=thumbup.gif]
Old 02-16-2004, 07:31 PM
halfmoon129

Yo,

Would it be bad for my batteries if I charge them up after only flying them 'til the low voltage thing turns the motor off? I know you should fully discharge them for the few first times to waken up the battery, but do you need to fully discharge every time???? Also, how do you fully discharge your batteries? I just plug the battery in and turn the controller on and just let it sit for a few hours, but this drains the batteries in my controller too. Am I doing it right? Graciocho.
Old 02-17-2004, 10:08 AM
Greg Covey

Rotor,

You can safely charge your 2600mAh NiMH packs at 1C to 2C. At the field, you charge them up to 5amps without issue. Just wait for them to cool down. They don't need to be cold, warm is ok, but not hot. When you charge them hot or at higher rates like 2C, you shorten the lifespan. It is a trade-off just like we do on motor current draw. The lower, the better for longevity. When the cost is insignificant to us (a personal choice) we push the limits.

Remember that excessive heat is the ememy to both motors and batteries. NiMH packs do like to be warm for best performance. This is why some folks peak them just before usage.