Community
Search
Notices
E-Flight Power Sources Ask questions or read about power sources as they specifically relate to e-flight including Lithium-ion, Li-Poly, Nimh and Nicad battery packs.

Formosa and himax

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2004, 09:01 PM
goplaneman
My Feedback: (175)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Formosa and himax

I am just finishing my Formosa, I have a Himax 2015 4100 to power this baby with. My question is,
Should I uses a C or D gearbox and what prop?
I have TP 1900 2s1p lipo, Should I go to , 2100 3s1p?
My first elec, have only flowen gas and the ESC is a 10ampCC
Thanks[sm=sunsmiley.gif]
Old 03-05-2004, 02:49 PM
shams42
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Formosa and himax

C or D will work. You'll have to adjust your prop size to compensate. I'm using that motor on 3s and the D gears spinning an 11x7 prop. You'll like that, guaranteed.

Matt
Old 03-06-2004, 12:30 AM
wright3

Matt's right. My Formosa flies on a Himax 2025-4200 with 5.66 (C) gearing. Pretty good verticle with 11x8 prop on TP 2S 1900. I know either of our motors will like 3S better but the 2S is adequet and is all I have at this time. With 2S packs, load the motor pretty heavy. I've worked my way up to the 11x8 and I've found my set up really responds well to lots of pitch. I'll probably back off on the diameter when I go 3S to keep the discharge rate within limits. Use Motocalc to get a good guess and max out your discharge rate to about 15 amps. This is a few amps above the continuous rating for the TP 2S 1900 so don't hold wide open throttle too long. I've found performance is so improved over stock that I'm not using WOT all that much. My pack and motor finish a flight only luke warm.

Have fun and let us know what you think of your brushless Formosa.

Randy
Old 03-06-2004, 12:35 AM
wright3

One more thing, If you can trade in your 10 amp esc for an 18 or 20, do it. You'll have to go pretty light to keep your discharge below 10 amps
Old 03-06-2004, 06:09 AM
goplaneman
My Feedback: (175)

Thanks for the info, I should be up in a couple of days (weather), Im going to go with the TP2100 3s1p, motocalc says this will be the best, I'll let you know.[sm=sunsmiley.gif]
Old 04-08-2004, 02:43 PM
davidinmi

I flew my Formosa for the first time today. What a fun plane. I'm using a Himax 2025-4200 with a Castle Creations Phoenix 25 ESC running a GWS 400c gearbox and 5.28 (H) gearing. This is quite close to the C gearing on the 350 gearbox. The receiver is a Hitec Micro 555. I was running an APC 9x6E prop. I ran a Kokam 1500mAh 3S pack and a Tanic 1500mAh 3S pack. When I got done flying I looked at the clock and saw that I had been flying for nearly an hour. The Kokam pack was still at 11.1v afterwards and the Tanic was at 10.7v. The packs were only slightly warm after flight.

My CG was right on the spar.
Aileron travel was 17mm.
Rudder travel was 19mm.
Elevator travel was 12mm.

I set the plane up with maximum travel with the short arms on Futaba S3101 micro servos. I felt it had plenty of aileron travel and could use a little more elevator and rudder. I'm going to let my 10 year old fly it on the buddy box so I will leave the travels where they are for now.

Vertical was unlimited (but slow) and the plane cut through 15mph wind with very little effect. Super nice flying plane. I don't know if my son will want to go back to the glow trainer.

This drive system is available as a package from e-flightline.com