Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > E-Flight Power Sources
Reload this Page >

Great Planes DC-3 Li-Poly Conversion

Community
Search
Notices
E-Flight Power Sources Ask questions or read about power sources as they specifically relate to e-flight including Lithium-ion, Li-Poly, Nimh and Nicad battery packs.

Great Planes DC-3 Li-Poly Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2004, 08:43 PM
Jeffpro
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Great Planes DC-3 Li-Poly Conversion

I just built Great Planes' new DC-3 electric. I installed a NiMH battery in it but am interested in replacing it with a Li-Poly battery for longer flight times. Can I just remove the NiMH and put in a Li-Poly, or is there more to it than that?
Old 03-21-2004, 10:16 PM
NMPhi767

Default RE: Great Planes DC-3 Li-Poly Conversion

That is pretty much it. Just make sure that your ESC has a cutoff that will keep your batteries above or at the recommended cutoff voltage for li-pos. IF you drop a li-po's voltage too low, bad things can happen.
Old 03-21-2004, 11:22 PM
Jeffpro
My Feedback: (1)

Do ESCs typically have a cutoff voltage, or do most allow the voltage to drop to 0? Is there a recommended cutoff value for li-pos, or does it vary from battery to battery?
Old 03-22-2004, 10:38 AM
Greg Covey

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Jeff,

Your normal ESC should work just fine with Lithium cells. All my Lithium setups (and they are numerous) use standard brushed and brushless ESCs. The built-in BEC has a Low-Voltage (LV) disconnect circuit that shuts off the motor while leaving power to the receiver and servos.

Good luck!
Old 03-22-2004, 12:43 PM
Jason Beach
My Feedback: (4)

Most ESC's have a cutoff. The problem is that generally they are around 5v which is fine for nicad or nimh. Li-poly batts shouldn't be ran below 3v per cell, which is 6v for a 2cell pack, and 9v for a 3cell pack. Some ESC's have a programable cut-off so you can fit it to your needs, but this is not required. If you are using a regular ESC without a programable Low voltage cut-off (it'll tell you in the instructions if it's programable) and Li-poly batts, you'll want to check the voltage of the pack every few minutes throughout the flight to make sure you're still above 3v per cell. After a few flights you'll know how long those batteries will fly in that application and you can use a timer.