Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > E-Flight Power Sources
Reload this Page >

is anyone 100% sure if NI-MH...

Community
Search
Notices
E-Flight Power Sources Ask questions or read about power sources as they specifically relate to e-flight including Lithium-ion, Li-Poly, Nimh and Nicad battery packs.

is anyone 100% sure if NI-MH...

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2004, 07:52 PM
MUSIC PUBLISHER

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default is anyone 100% sure if NI-MH...

battery packs should be totally discharged after a certain number of times it has been used. ive read different opinons on this and was wondering if it is the best way to maintain the batterys. i read somewhere that they recommend totally drainin the pack{and i mean totally} then trickle charging it.i wasnt sure if i should take the pack all the way down,or leave just a little charge in them..any suggestions...also the slow charger i have charges at .300 mah"s...is this enough of a trickle charge for my 900mah packs if i were to take them down to 0 and then recharge them,.,,thanks...
Old 03-23-2004, 09:00 PM
Jim Finn
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: is anyone 100% sure if NI-MH...

You should drain a battery to zero just before you throw it away! ............................. Allowing a battery pack to drain, even very low ,is bad for it. You can kill a battery pack that way. I let my prop. drain my battery pack. When the plane will no longer fly (motor still runs) it is plenty low! Re charge then at one "C"
Old 03-24-2004, 08:17 AM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: is anyone 100% sure if NI-MH...

Letting your NiMH packs get drained below .8 Volts per cell is BAD for them. There is very little energy left in a NiMH cell when it gets down to 1.0 Volts at rest.

Perhaps you misinterpreted what you read. I do know that many experts recommend occasionally discharging NiMH packs, mostly to verify that they're in good health by measuring capacity. Discharging does not mean to ZERO Volts.