Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > E-Flight Power Sources
Reload this Page >

GWS Mustang and Himax 2015

Community
Search
Notices
E-Flight Power Sources Ask questions or read about power sources as they specifically relate to e-flight including Lithium-ion, Li-Poly, Nimh and Nicad battery packs.

GWS Mustang and Himax 2015

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2004, 05:30 PM
Plane Addicted
My Feedback: (49)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GWS Mustang and Himax 2015

This is my first brushless and li-poly setup and I would like some input before I run it to much. I have a GWS Mustang that is 16oz. I have a Himax 2015 5400 with a GWS "D" 6.6:1 gear box, Castle Creations Phoenix-25 speed control, GWS 0907 prop and 3s 1200 E-tec liPoly.

Here is how I have the speed control set up. Cutoff Voltage - 7.2 volts, Current Limiting - Option 3 Standard, Brake Type - Option 5 Brake Disabled, Throttle Type - Auto Calibration, Electronic Timing Advance - Low advance timing (0deg - 15deg), Cutoff Type - Soft Cutoff, Soft Start - Option 2 Soft Start

I drawed 12.5 Amps and 106 Watts at full throttle and 5.3 Amps and 51 Watts at half throttle.

Is the 12.5 amps to high for the E-tec 3s 1200 lipoly?
What other props should I try.
What would be an acceptible amps a full throttle?
Any other advice or things I should change in this set up?

I put one flight on it with this set up and it is plenty fast. I flew a about half throttle, or just above, most of the time and only used full throttle for loops and vertical uplines. I got about 12 to 13 minutes of flight time with this set up. The flight ended very abruptly with the engine cutting off. I forgot about being able to restart it after going to idle for 4 seconds.

Sorry of the long post!!

Here is a link to my web page, if you scroll down to the bottom there is a video of the first brushless flight.

[link=http://planeaddicted.tripod.com/]PlaneAddicted[/link]

Thanks
Old 04-12-2004, 03:38 PM
Greg Covey

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: GWS Mustang and Himax 2015

The E-Tec 1200 will easily power a model up to 7amps continuous or 9 amps in short 20 second or less bursts. Use a parallel configuration to double the current handling to 15amps contiuous and 20 in short bursts.

I'm not sure how much current the Himax 2015 motor is happy with but considering that you get about 10% offloading in the air, you're current setup is probably fine if you don't keep it at full throttle too long.