Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > E-Flight Power Sources
Reload this Page >

Reference source for battery packs, etc.

Community
Search
Notices
E-Flight Power Sources Ask questions or read about power sources as they specifically relate to e-flight including Lithium-ion, Li-Poly, Nimh and Nicad battery packs.

Reference source for battery packs, etc.

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2004, 08:06 PM
TerryP
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reference source for battery packs, etc.

Does anyone know of a book or website that is up to date and explains in detail about the different types of batteries, how to decide which type to use where, acronyms, how to charge them, etc. I also could use some information about the new electric motors being used for electric flight these days.

I used to fly R/C planes about 40 years ago using Orbit 10 ch. reed equipment (bring any memories back for anyone out there?) in a Taurus with a Super Tigre 56 (the only name of a non-scale plane I can remember). I really like the idea of electric flight and will be getting back into the hobby very soon. I prefer doing my homework before jumping into anything so some help would be appreciated. Among all the questions I have, is this one -I've seen terminology about 9c or 10c discharge ratings - what is that all about? I do have a little electronic experience so I figured out the 2s3p terminology as 2(series)3(parallel) but most of the rest of it is new to me. Any suggestions?

Thanks
Old 05-10-2004, 08:26 AM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Default RE: Reference source for battery packs, etc.

If there is a website out there that's "up to date," I'd be a little wary of the advice, personally. That would mean the author is spending all his time maintaining the website, and not using the technology. What kind of advice would you expect from someone who isn't actually out there and active in the hobby?

Your best learning tool is online forums like these. The information comes in small easily digestable bits, instead of all at once, AND it's always up to date. Any book would be woefully behind the curve by the time it makes it to print. Magazines like Quiet Flyer have technical articles as well.

C is a very simple concept, and probably one of the first things you should learn about. It's merely the Capacity of the cells, and is used to describe the charge and discharge rates of the battery. When you see something like "1C charge" it means you charge at a rate that is equal to the battery's capacity. A 2400mAh cell would have a C value of 2400mA, or 2.4 Amps. A cell rated at "10C discharge" is capable of sustaining currents 10 times its capacity. The same 2400mAh cell would be capable of discharging at up to 24 Amps without sustaining damage, were it rated as a 10C cell.
Old 05-12-2004, 06:42 AM
czechyour6

Try www.rcbatteryclinic.com lots of good information, should be a good start. Your local hobby guys should hopefully know at least the basics.
Old 05-12-2004, 07:44 AM
Matt Kirsch

The battery clinic site does cover the basics, but it doesn't cover each and every bit of technology out there.
Old 05-12-2004, 09:56 PM
iwadmin

Contact ZB at espritmodel.com

The phone number is 1-321-729-4287

ZB is very knowledgeable about e-flight and can help you with choices.
Old 05-13-2004, 07:58 AM
Matt Kirsch

That's excellent advice, in a more generic fashion. If everybody calls Zb, he's in serious trouble

Admittedly, I forgot all about Red's battery clinic. It's a great resource, and I'll be sure to remember it for the future. Once you get the basics down, asking questions of the experts is a good way to nail down some specifics, like how to apply the current technology. Maybe you've got someone who flies electric at your club, or in your immediate area that can help or direct you to their source of information. Many of the smaller vendors are fanatical about the hobby, fly what they sell, and are more than happy to talk planes with you. Then there are always the online forums.