Community
Search
Notices
E-Flight Power Sources Ask questions or read about power sources as they specifically relate to e-flight including Lithium-ion, Li-Poly, Nimh and Nicad battery packs.

best battery-lithium???

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2004, 10:24 PM
electric-mike

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default best battery-lithium???

What is the best battery to use in park flyers? are the lithium batteries better, do they have more amps or volts, will they increase power of the plane?
thanks
Old 05-18-2004, 07:43 AM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Default RE: best battery-lithium???

The advantage of lithium batteries is that they pack five times the capacity of a NiCd for the same amount of weight.

Volts are completely under the control of the user, and depend on the plane. To get a desired voltage, connect multiple cells together in series. The main difference here between LiPoly and NiCd or NiMH is that LiPolys are 3.7 Volts per cell, and NiCd or NiMH are 1.2 Volts per cell. In practice, you replace every 3.5 NiMH cells with a single LiPoly cell. LiPolys are less flexible as far as voltage goes.

What's "better?" That's something you'll have to answer. NiMH and NiCd do have some advantages over LiPoly. They're cheap. They're not nearly as fussy about charging. They're not as delicate.

If you're a newbie flier, I would recommend that you stick with NiCd and NiMH for now. You'll be crashing, and you'll be learning about the care and feeding of batteries. Ruining an expensive LiPoly pack because you didn't know what you were doing can be very discouraging, and could get quite messy. Please research and read up on the safety issues with LiPoly as well.
Old 05-18-2004, 02:04 PM
electric-mike

Default RE: best battery-lithium???

thanks for the help i think i will start with the NiCd or NiMH, thanks