Community
Search
Notices
E-Flight Power Sources Ask questions or read about power sources as they specifically relate to e-flight including Lithium-ion, Li-Poly, Nimh and Nicad battery packs.

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2004, 10:45 PM
Jobu

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie

Hi,
I was into glow planes about 10 yrs ago and am recently starting to fly again but witth electrics. I'm ready to move on from my first plane and want to pick a good power system for future planes. I am thinkining Nimh. Can anyone recomend a good charger and battery type to use? Also I was wondering how flexible and interchangeble electrics are such as if you want a little more power can you simply add cells?? (I am a newbie)

Also any help on a plane would be appreciated too...the Park Pilot just bit the dust.

Thanks ...Joe
Old 06-13-2004, 07:46 AM
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Newbie

As far as chargers go, there are lots of chargers that are alot of NiCad/NiMh chargers that are fine. If you want to add the ability to to also charge Li-Po's, some popular choices are the Hobbico http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXCTZ5&P=0 & the Triton http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXCJG7&P=ML

I noticed that you posted on this other thread already. Perhaps your other questions are answered here. http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/Sorr...1890043/tm.htm

Have fun,
Brad
Old 06-13-2004, 10:20 PM
Jobu

Hey thanks for the help. I actually did read that post too...it was helpfull.
I was looking at some chargers and noticed they have a positive and neg opening in front to recieve batteries...do you have to make your own battery wire to go into it? Are there any good text resources for screwing around with batteries other than reading manuals?.

Again, thanks for the link and your help.
Old 06-14-2004, 12:08 PM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

There are many different types of connectors on the market. The charger manufacturer has no way to know which one you have, and to include them ALL would raise the price of any charger by $50, making it less likely that someone would buy their charger. So, they just give you a place to plug in your own custom charge leads.

www.rcbatteryclinic.com is a good place for some basic battery information. You'll also want to keep an eye on the forums, reading threads that catch your eye. The most up-to-date information is kept right here.
Old 06-15-2004, 12:19 AM
Jobu

Thanks Matt