Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > E-Flight Power Sources
Reload this Page >

Help with Firebird Commander to Piper J-3 Cub conversion???

Community
Search
Notices
E-Flight Power Sources Ask questions or read about power sources as they specifically relate to e-flight including Lithium-ion, Li-Poly, Nimh and Nicad battery packs.

Help with Firebird Commander to Piper J-3 Cub conversion???

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2004, 01:16 AM
steedly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with Firebird Commander to Piper J-3 Cub conversion???

Hello. I posted this on the general discussion board before I realized there was a board dedicated to electric power sources - there are a LOT of boards on here!

I recently upgraded from hobbyzone's Firebird Commander to Parkzone's J3 Cub. I LOVE IT!! It is a million times more responsive than my beat-up/taped-up Commander. It flies like a dream. My problem is that it doesn't fly long enough. I thought this wouldn't be a problem since I had two battery packs from my Commander. But the Commander batteries (7 cell, 8.4v, 900 mAh, NiMH) are bigger (slightly taller and slightly fatter cells) and have a different connector than the J3 batteries (smaller 7 cell, 8.4V, 600mAh, Ni-MH). They won't fit in the J3 battery "hole," but they will fit under the wing with all the other electronics, which will probably upset the center-of-gravity somewhat.

Center-of-gravity aside, I'm just wondering if I can get or make an adapter so that I can use my extra Commander battery in my J3. Also, if I can do this, will it burn any of the electronics up? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I think the Commander batteries have the small Tamiya type connector. I don't know what type of connector the J3 batteries have but it is a small black connector. The Commander batteries also have a slightly larger wire.

ps - I know the batteries are only about 20 bucks direct from Parkzone but I used all my budgeted $ this month on the plane.
Old 07-13-2004, 03:34 PM
Greg Covey

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Help with Firebird Commander to Piper J-3 Cub conversion???

The Firebird Commander uses a 6-cell, 7.2v, 900mAh (green) pack with a Tamiya connector. These are heavier cells than used by the J-3 Cub.

The (blue) 7-cell, 600mAh, NiMH pack for the J-3 Cub is lighter and a smaller size.

I would not recommend swapping their intended use.

The black connectors are likely the same as the FMA (FMAC3B) 3mm connectors sold at [link=http://www.hobby-lobby.com/kokam.htm]Hobby Lobby[/link].
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca82108.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	9.0 KB
ID:	153299   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy80389.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	10.7 KB
ID:	153300  
Old 07-14-2004, 08:09 PM
dribbe

I reccomend you just buy a couple of spare Cub packs.... you should be able to get 14-18 minutes of cruising flight....
David
Old 07-14-2004, 08:20 PM
quigquig

I'm putting a 2 CELL 7.2V 1300MAH LIPO PACK in my J3. Also, just for anyone who might be interested, the stock prop is an 8X4 with a 2mm shaft.