Community
Search
Notices
E-Flight Power Sources Ask questions or read about power sources as they specifically relate to e-flight including Lithium-ion, Li-Poly, Nimh and Nicad battery packs.

E-Tech 11.1v 1200_HOT!

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2004, 06:26 AM
bob_nj
My Feedback: (62)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default E-Tech 11.1v 1200_HOT!

I just picked up a new E-Tech 1200 HP. I charged it initially at .8A on the Triton and it went ok. I then tried to dischage it on my Competition Electronics GFX Turbo 35. I use this machine because I have software to graph the discharge curve on my PC. I set it for three cells with a cut off of 9V at 8Amps. The E-Tech cells are supposed to be able to handle 10 continuously per the website.
[link=http://www.balsapr.com/catalog/battNCharge/ETECView.asp?ProductId=U490311]E-Tech[/link]

The site also says to not let the temp go above 70°C (158°F)
Problem is that it reaches the 158 limit in about 3 minutes at 8 amps. The webpage says to not give up on the packs, and keep trying.
Does anyone have more experience discharging E-Tech cells than I do?
Maybe I'm missing something.
Thanks_bob
Old 08-16-2004, 10:56 AM
Foamaholic
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: E-Tech 11.1v 1200_HOT!

I have several Etec 1200's, 2s and 3s.
I have only discharged them flying though.
They never get hot, just good and warm.
One of my planes draws 11.5 amps static, but I have only run it like that for like 10 seconds.
It probably unloads in the air and lowers the amps. Also in the air there is some air blowing over the battery.
Still, even after 30 min. of hovering and stuff, not much full throttle, it comes down only warm.
Can you try flying it and see what happens?
Old 08-16-2004, 11:11 AM
bob_nj
My Feedback: (62)

Default E-Tech 11.1v 1200_HOT!

[link=http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=264299]rc groups[/link]

There are some responses in the above thread that are interesting and quite surprising if you ask me, especailly with all of the hype about being careful with Li-Po's yada yada yada...

Take care_bob
Old 08-16-2004, 11:19 AM
Foamaholic
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: E-Tech 11.1v 1200_HOT!

I and my friend have flown lipos since last year and never have had a problem with any of them.
This year four other fly them too, so far without any problem.
We are careful to charge them correctly and not over amp or over discharge them.