Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > E-Flight Power Sources
Reload this Page >

TP2100 3S balloons after only one flight: throw away $80?

Community
Search
Notices
E-Flight Power Sources Ask questions or read about power sources as they specifically relate to e-flight including Lithium-ion, Li-Poly, Nimh and Nicad battery packs.

TP2100 3S balloons after only one flight: throw away $80?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2004, 12:39 PM
donqixote

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TP2100 3S balloons after only one flight: throw away $80?

I am sure it is not because of over discharge, because before the flight, I measured using my Astro and the current is only 18A at full throtle, which is below 10C. My setup is 2808/24 with 9x5 Aeronaut folder, CC phoenix 25A.

I ordered 4 packs directly from tppack and the rest 3 are fine. It is a manufacturing defect.

Can I still keep using it, or throw away?

In the pics, the top pack is the pack in question, while the bottom pack is one of the other 3 packs. In the first pic, I pressed the ill fated pack gently using the back end of a pencil (not the sharp end, offcourse!) and in the second pic, you see when I lifted the pencil, a mark remains for sometime.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv65141.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	24.7 KB
ID:	164509   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id96332.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	30.3 KB
ID:	164510  
Old 08-16-2004, 01:09 PM
donqixote

Default RE: TP2100 3S balloons after only one flight: throw away $80?

When the packs arrived from US, I measured the open terminal voltages were high and I decided to fly the packs first before the first charge.

Contacted TP and they promise to send a replacement.

Will send a posting when it really arrives.
Old 08-16-2004, 11:18 PM
Shortman
My Feedback: (21)

I had my 1320Gen 2 pack die from the very first batch of the new packs. There was a chemistry mis match with the packs and since they have offered replacement packs to anyone who got a bad pack. Like yours, one of my cells just puffed one day.
Old 08-17-2004, 08:02 PM
crashingagain

It wasnt a chemistry problem, it was a tooling problem. As I understand it the machine that presses and seals the cells wasnt doing its job right and an improper seal was the result. I had an early GEN2 pack balloon and I contacted TP. Jason explained it all and promptly sent me a replacement pack. Thunderpower has the best customer service in RC that I've seen in awhile
Old 08-18-2004, 01:24 AM
Jason W M
My Feedback: (6)

As a note - Bernarto (donqixote) already has a replacement pack on the way to him.

Thunder Power stands behind its products 100%. If any pack is ever found defective, it is always replaced right away.

If you ever have a problem with your Thunder Power packs, the best thing to do is call or email them directly. You can find all the proper contact info here:

http://www.thunderpower-batteries.com/html/contact.html
Old 08-18-2004, 07:26 AM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

The best course of action when you experience a problem with a product is to ALWAYS call the vendor/distributor/manufacturer and give them a chance to help you. Bringing issues like this to online forums before the vendor has had a chance to respond, you might be unintentionally hurting their business for absolutely no reason.
Old 08-18-2004, 03:08 PM
IA-Flyer

ORIGINAL: Matt Kirsch

The best course of action when you experience a problem with a product is to ALWAYS call the vendor/distributor/manufacturer and give them a chance to help you. Bringing issues like this to online forums before the vendor has had a chance to respond, you might be unintentionally hurting their business for absolutely no reason.
That would make the manufactures very happy, but I like seeing all problems (and their solutions) reported on the board.
I can remember reading posts on a different forum where people were calculating cost based on 600 cycles out of their new 10C+ packs, probably because or manufacturer claims.
Now many people are reporting pack failures at 100 to 150 flights. If it weren’t for reports like this thread I would be making choices based on speculation and advertising department claims rather than field proven results.

I’m trying to choose a motor / battery combination for a small 3 to 3.5 pound electric and every report helps me make a more informed decision.

Jim
Old 08-18-2004, 06:40 PM
Henke Torphammar

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I agree on some points with both Matt and Jim...

you should contact the vendor first if you have a problem (not the least for your personal safety)... which he also did, and posted that he got a great response and a raplacement pack in the mail...

though I leave speculating in why the cells puff to Thunder power them selves as they are the pros not us....
Old 08-26-2004, 09:36 AM
donqixote

As a note - Bernarto (donqixote) already has a replacement pack on the way to him.

Thunder Power stands behind its products 100%. If any pack is ever found defective, it is always replaced right away.

If you ever have a problem with your Thunder Power packs, the best thing to do is call or email them directly. You can find all the proper contact info here:
It has been more than one week since his posting above, but I have not received it till today

Contacted again and he wrote that it was re-shiped using "Air Letter Post" and the personel handling it was having problem because he always ships UPS. This does not ship through UPS because when I first ordered from TP website I specified a special shipping method.

What such a wonderful story (?)

When I first ordered it from TP website, I just followed whatever is in the web pages, I never specified anything other than writting a message: "Please provide enough protection to the packs against shocks and punctures during the journey to Singapore"
Old 08-26-2004, 02:16 PM
Jason W M
My Feedback: (6)

Bernarto -

You never ordered your original packs from the TP web site - TPPacks.com is an independent vendor who operates with his own methods of shipping world-wide. TPPacks is located in California and Advance Energy Tech (manufacturer of Thunder Power packs - from where your replacement was authorized and sent) is located in Las Vegas, Nevada.

As stated in the email, nearly everything shipped from AET to vendors and customers world-wide is sent UPS. Dozens of people here can confirm that. For world-wide shipping such as your location, using the post office is very new to them - they have not done so in many, many years of operation. Your request was indeed "special" and it required the pack to be shipped a method not typically used. We went out of our way to do that for you, as a service. In fact, I phoned the vendor you ordered from just to find out the method he used to ship to you originally since it had already been successful and I wanted to get the pack to you the same way if possible.

As promised, your pack has already been shipped. The email even gave you the customs label number. Everyone who has ever been told a replacement has been shipped has always received it.

Again, your replacement has already been sent a few days ago and should arrive shortly. Please be patient.
Old 08-31-2004, 10:53 AM
donqixote

Thanks LVRCFlyer, finally I received it just now.

You are indeed behind your products.

Thanks TP.