Community
Search
Notices
E-Flight Power Sources Ask questions or read about power sources as they specifically relate to e-flight including Lithium-ion, Li-Poly, Nimh and Nicad battery packs.

Whats wrong here ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2004, 07:42 AM
joeb102072
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whats wrong here ?

OK Heres the deal I just bought a new Mini Dragonfly from GWS. I had it working flawlessly all weekend until Sunday afternoon. My Issue is with power it doesnt seem like I am getting enough to even take off the ground. The supplied 850MAH 8.4V NiMh battery pack was quick charged from the get go but then after 3 quick flights or so i cycled it for a good charge. I also used a 7.2V 950 MAH Lith Ion Bat to fly with even though it didnt have the voltage the other had the weight difference was enough to make them fly similar. Well after a few crashes nothing monumental I was finding that my battery life was diminishing dramatically and I couldnt even hover from a full charge on either battery. I did notice that upon fixing one of my mishaps that I moved the engine away from the main gear and when I put it back I think I put it too close to it because it seemed to be a little sluggish when throttleing up. Unfortunalty I used an entire battery on that tight gear set up. Is it possible I damaged the engine? It was quite hot after I found the issue. I find it hard to believe that both my batteries went and the charger doesnt give any indication that that is what happend they both take a charge. My charger is a Hobbico Quick Charger MK II for Nicad NiMH and LI Ion and of there was bad cell in either one they wouldnt charge. How would I tell if my motor is fried besides the obvious it not working. It still runs and there are no different sounds comming from it. Any help would be appreciated. Joe.
Old 08-23-2004, 11:51 PM
Merlin1205
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: Whats wrong here ?

You will need to check the amperage draw of the motor while its running.
If you damaged it and its draining your batteries that fast, it must be pulling
some major amps. If you can get hold of a standard digital voltmeter (like 10.00 at loews)
most will measure amperage up to around 20 amps or so. Just wire it in series on one of the
motor leads, doesnt matter which one. Ill bet you damaged the alignment or such in the motor.
You could also try cycling your batteries on a discharger if you have any friends that might have
one buit I will bet its not the batteries.

Good Luck,

Tim
Old 08-24-2004, 05:04 AM
joeb102072
My Feedback: (9)

You are sooo right. Thank you for your advise but that is exactly what i did. I arced the axel that the pinion gear is on when i had a mishap with it. I didnt realize it until I read the thread that said to make sure the gears arent too close to gether or else they'll bind too much and will draw to much power and reduce power. So when I checked it I noticed that the motor got jammed up and never seated back I since ran 2 batteries through it like that. Need less to say I fried the engine. I went to my LHS and tried to get it replaced they said it was a standard 280 motor. NOTTTT, just a word of advise if you damage an engine to the mini dragonfly go to an authorized dealer and get the exact replacement motor the great planes motor aledgidly was the same thing according to the hobby store guys and it is by far not. Even though there the same price. THe Dragonfly motor has 5 more oz of thrust for theirs @ 12, 500 rpms than the GP's one. And a mini T engine equivelent to the EM150 in power readings is $29.00. $8.95 from GWS for theirs sounds like a deal to me. And GWS EM300 speed motor is a monster 34,000 rpms and only .25 of an oz heaiver. Granted it draws more power but who cares for that kind of performance.
Old 08-24-2004, 12:46 PM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

It's very easy to confuse a 280 motor with a 300. That's probably what happened at the LHS. Both are very similar in size and appearance to someone who doesn't know better, and it's human nature to conclude that, "if it looks the same, it must be the same."

The "Dragonfly" motor you're using is known by many names: Speed 300, EPS350C, 300, 370, and a few others I can't think of right now. Guaranteed they're the same motor because they're mass-produced in a factory, millions at a time.