Notices
E-Flight Power Sources Ask questions or read about power sources as they specifically relate to e-flight including Lithium-ion, Li-Poly, Nimh and Nicad battery packs.

Li-iPo Batteries

Old 09-03-2004, 08:45 PM
voodoodb
My Feedback: (98)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Li-iPo Batteries

Can someone help me please. I have a 300 series motor, and am using a 2s,and 3s 1200mah li-po packs. Also have a 2s 1500 mah pack. The 1200 mah packs are 3c batteries, and I don't know what the 1500mah batteries are. Is a 50 amp esc to much for this? Also would a 20 amp esc be better suited? The 50 amp esc is a Electrifly C-50 High Power. The 20 is a GAS TS-20A, 20 Amp/5-8 cells. Any help will help a great deal. If niether of these is suitable, can someone tell me what size ESC I need?

Thanks
Doug
Old 09-03-2004, 10:54 PM
INeedHelp
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Li-iPo Batteries

The 20 amp will be more that enough for the 3c 1200 packs since they are rated to only put out 3.6 amps continuos. You would ruin the battery well before burning out the speed control. The 1500 pack even if they are the high discharge type will most likey only be capable of 15 amps at 10c so once again the 20 amp controller will be more than adequate. Keep in mind on the 1500 packs that the gear box and prop will be the determining factor for the amp draw. I guess this was just a long winded way to say the 20 amp speed controller will be fine.
Old 09-05-2004, 09:42 PM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Li-iPo Batteries

DO NOT use the 1500mAh pack until you identify it and find out what its C rating is. The pack you save will be your own.

It's not the size of the ESC that determines the Amps, it's the design of the motor, the size of the prop, and the voltage from the battery that determines how many Amps are drawn.

As he said above, the ESCs are more than adequate, BUT, the motor will draw too many Amps for any of those packs to handle individually. A 300 motor system generally draws around 8 Amps. Your 1300mAh packs will only handle 3.9 Amps. The 300 motor will wreck them, unless you parallel multiple 2-cell (2S) LiPoly packs together to get a capacity of at least 8 Amps.

Those 3S LiPoly packs have too high a voltage for the 300 motor. It will burn out quickly. Don't use them.