Community
Search
Notices
E-Flight Power Sources Ask questions or read about power sources as they specifically relate to e-flight including Lithium-ion, Li-Poly, Nimh and Nicad battery packs.

Lipo Charging Question!

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2004, 07:28 PM
Arznek

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lipo Charging Question!

Im nervous about the power source required for my apache 2500 lipo charger. The charger comes with 2 aligator clips and it requires a 10.5-15 Volt DC power source. I have one of those portable car jumper units that has the larger aligator ends on it, it has a voltage meter built in and is currently at a 75% charge at 13 volts, can i just hook up my apache charger to this car starter unit? This car starter unit also has a ciggarete plugin socket that I have used to charge my aerobird batteries in the past. I was thinking that I can have the car jumper unit plugged into the wall as I have my apache 2500 charger attached to it. Will this be ok? Or do I have a fire hazard on the way?
Old 09-12-2004, 11:48 AM
Foamaholic
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Lipo Charging Question!

A friend uses one with his Triton charger. Don't know if he plugs it in at home though.
I know someone who uses a car battery to connect his charger to, and he connects a battery charger to the battery while charing.
Old 09-12-2004, 11:59 AM
RCaillouet3

I have done this with my Triton charger when out at the fiel so that I don't have to have the lipo sitting next to my car when charging!!! It works well using the car starter, the thing to remember is that it will drain the battery on your car jumper really quickly!!!

Most car jumper self contained packs like you would get from walmart have a very small battery. yes it is capable of drawing a hugh amp load, but only for a short time!!! I can generally charge 2 - 3 Kokam 3S 1500 from the jumper system through my triton before having to put the car jumper on an over night charge.

The only way for it to work though, is to take the input power clips from your charger and put it into the output clips from the car jumper and then turn the car jumper on. In a sense what you have is aligator clip to alligator clip. This is not the most effeicent way to get power across to the charger.

A word of caution though, always wrap the alligator clip/ aligator clip section with electrical tape once they are connected to one another and prior to powering the system!! This ensures that they won't get grounded during use and causing a short that could fry EVERYTHING!!!!

There are better ways to get power though!!! One way is to purchase or make a power source that you can plug into a wall outlet for use when at home. Another way would be to use your car's battery for powering your charger, and save your car jumpers for when you might need it at the end of the day!!!!

Just my thoughts,

Reg
Old 09-19-2004, 08:53 PM
Iceman30
My Feedback: (14)

I just got a cig. lighter plug from Radio Shack for like 3 dollars, you have to provide wires so I put 5 ft' electrical cord to it and run it out of car to ground put foam down, clip the Triton to exposed ends on wires..will make a board to keep sepearate soon..anyway...the lipo are out of the car..but I can charge my field battery in my car with the triton..which I use to charge my nicds in my 27% plane in the house..good 3 dollar part to not have to pop the hood all the time
Old 09-26-2004, 03:42 PM
meeko

hi!

I have the apache2500
in the jumpers of the apache i have two options to charge - 1200ma and 1700ma but i dont have 1500ma what i can do?

can i charge a 1500ma battery?
Old 09-26-2004, 03:49 PM
Red Scholefield
Banned
My Feedback: (9)

Use the 1200 mA option.

ORIGINAL: meeko

hi!

I have the apache2500
in the jumpers of the apache i have two options to charge - 1200ma and 1700ma but i dont have 1500ma what i can do?

can i charge a 1500ma battery?