Community
Search
Notices
E-Flight Power Sources Ask questions or read about power sources as they specifically relate to e-flight including Lithium-ion, Li-Poly, Nimh and Nicad battery packs.

Constructing NiMh packs

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2004, 09:37 AM
rcpunk
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Constructing NiMh packs

I am about to construct a couple of 12 cell NIMh packs. What is the best material to use in connecting the cells? I have seen the braided matl. advertised in Hobby Lobby or I have a good supply of various brass shim stock that I can cut into strips to use. Does wrapping the packs in shrink wrap hurt the cooling of the pack,or should I just cover the terminal ends?
Old 09-25-2004, 10:22 PM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Default RE: Constructing NiMh packs

If you buy a commercial pack, it comes shrink wrapped. I think the R value of a layer of shrinkwrap is something like .00001 vs. 19 for your typical 6" of fiberglass in the wall of most houses.
Old 09-28-2004, 01:24 PM
Mike Parsons

ORIGINAL: rcpunk

I am about to construct a couple of 12 cell NIMh packs. What is the best material to use in connecting the cells? I have seen the braided matl. advertised in Hobby Lobby or I have a good supply of various brass shim stock that I can cut into strips to use. Does wrapping the packs in shrink wrap hurt the cooling of the pack,or should I just cover the terminal ends?
I use copper braid on my packs in ladder config, or you can also solder them end to end (shotgun style) if you have a hammerhead bit for your iron. Wrapping them in shrink wrap will not hurt cooling as long as you have good airflow over them. A good method that I have seen used is to take a hole punch and put some holes in it before you shrink it around the pack. His looks like swiss cheese, but it is effective in our high amp applications. If you are going to be under 20 amps, I wouldnt worry about it much.

-Mike
Old 09-29-2004, 09:36 AM
rcpunk
My Feedback: (4)

T hanks for the advice Mike, I especially like the idea of the paper punch on the shrink wrap.