Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > E-Flight Power Sources
Reload this Page >

PJS 550R w/ 3 cells--Which 9 or 10 in. prop to maximize 3D thrust?

Community
Search
Notices
E-Flight Power Sources Ask questions or read about power sources as they specifically relate to e-flight including Lithium-ion, Li-Poly, Nimh and Nicad battery packs.

PJS 550R w/ 3 cells--Which 9 or 10 in. prop to maximize 3D thrust?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2004, 10:47 PM
duganderson

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PJS 550R w/ 3 cells--Which 9 or 10 in. prop to maximize 3D thrust?

What prop is best for the PJS 550R to maximize 3D thrust. I'd like to use a 9X3.8 but Motocalc says it pulls 15.2 static amps and the max amps for the motor is 14.5.

Here's the setup:
Potensky Eagle approx 14 oz. total flying weight
PJS 550R
3 cell Kokam 1500
Phoenix 25

Any recommendations or experience with different props would be appreciated. I don't want to burn up my PJS but want to maximize thrust.

Thanks, Doug
Old 10-28-2004, 07:49 AM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: PJS 550R w/ 3 cells--Which 9 or 10 in. prop to maximize 3D thrust?

If a 9x3.8 is too much, your only choice is to go smaller. They don't make slo-flyer props with lower pitches than that, so your only choice to reduce load is to reduce diameter.

Frankly, I think you're close enough, especially considering the fact that you won't/shouldn't be flying full throttle all the time. You're not THAT much over the limit...

Your limiting factor in this setup will be the battery. It's only rated at 8C, or 12 Amps continuous. With voltage depression, I doubt you'll ever see 15.1 Amps, or even 14.5 for more than a second or two at full throttle.