Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > E-Flight Power Sources
Reload this Page >

Li-PO or NiCd Pros and Cons

Notices
E-Flight Power Sources Ask questions or read about power sources as they specifically relate to e-flight including Lithium-ion, Li-Poly, Nimh and Nicad battery packs.

Li-PO or NiCd Pros and Cons

Old 11-29-2004, 02:11 PM
Joje

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Li-PO or NiCd Pros and Cons

ORIGINAL: Matt Kirsch

ORIGINAL: Joje

I was going to order an Astroflight 109, but read that you cannot feed it from an automotive battery. A special wall power unit is supposed to be needed. Is that right? ...........
Where did you read that? It's BS.

An automotive battery is the CLEANEST, MOST STABLE source of 12VDC power available. There is absolutely positively no reason why the Astro 109 cannot be powered by an automotive battery..........
I believe I read it on Tower Hobbies site and it certainly made me confused since everybody on this forum favors an automotive battery. Thanks for confirming.

Joje
Old 11-29-2004, 02:31 PM
Red Scholefield
Banned
My Feedback: (9)

ORIGINAL: Matt Kirsch

ORIGINAL: Joje

I was going to order an Astroflight 109, but read that you cannot feed it from an automotive battery. A special wall power unit is supposed to be needed. Is that right?

If so, the Astro 109 appears pretty useless at the field if no AC main power is available.
Is the info about the necessity of a special power unit correct?

Joje
Where did you read that? It's BS.

An automotive battery is the CLEANEST, MOST STABLE source of 12VDC power available. There is absolutely positively no reason why the Astro 109 cannot be powered by an automotive battery.

There might be an issue in a RUNNING car, due to the extra-high, unstable voltage put out by the alternator, but again, a regular automotive battery is perfectly suitable!
1. I have yet to find any 12 volt hobby charger that has a problem while being run off the car battery when the car is running. These include: Triton, FMA SuperNova 250S, Dymond Super Turbo, AstroFlite 109, Kokam Lipo 401/402, Alpha 4, Hobbico Quick Field Charger Mk II, Victor Engineering Hi-Q, Orbit Microladen, Sommer Miniron.

2. Don't overlook the fact that the car system is connected directly to the car battery which will act pretty much as a filter. The only glitch I've seen is that sometimes if your charger is connected to the car battery when you start the car the voltage drops enough to dump your charger and it could default to a charge regiem you or your battery might not be happy with.
Old 11-30-2004, 10:50 PM
sodflyer
My Feedback: (1)

Cycles on a lipo...My exp with my last lipo was pretty darn good... but I always charged at the stated levels with my Triton from a power supply.....never saw a drop in performance or mah in it. Now I have another Thunder power 2100 3 cell that I have flown once in my Zagi....Ahhhhhh I remember Lipos what fun! when you go Lipo's you wont go back! even though you can't fudge a little charging them to be on the safe side....Jeff.