Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > E-Flight Power Sources
Reload this Page >

Radio shack nimh"s verses other brands....

Community
Search
Notices
E-Flight Power Sources Ask questions or read about power sources as they specifically relate to e-flight including Lithium-ion, Li-Poly, Nimh and Nicad battery packs.

Radio shack nimh"s verses other brands....

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2004, 05:46 PM
MUSIC PUBLISHER

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radio shack nimh"s verses other brands....

I recently purchased the r/s 1600 mah-nimhs for $14.95....cycled them 3 times and flew them in my new sky scooter..I was more then happy with the performance I got..12 minutes of flight at full throttle..and the batteries were just luke warm...I weighed these batteries on my home food scale..and it said they weighed 6.8 ozs...this is considerably less then most of the 1450/1600 nimh packs I see advertised at the online stores for $18.00 and up...those packs usually weigh around 8 ozs..unless my scale is calibrated wrong{which is very possible} ..I was wondering why there would be a weight difference with the same 9.6volt 8 cell/aa nimh packs??...is anyone using the online packs and getting much more flight time then I got out of the r/c packs??...
Old 12-13-2004, 05:48 PM
MUSIC PUBLISHER

Default RE: Radio shack nimh"s verses other brands....

daggonit..I posted this in wrong forum..oh well...
Old 12-14-2004, 08:40 AM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

I'll move it to the Power Sources forum as soon as I'm done writing this.

If you break it down, 1.2 ounces is only .15 ounces, or about 4.5 grams, per cell in an 8-cell pack. That's not much difference on a per-cell basis, but it does add up over the long haul.

My best educated guess is that the RatShack packs are using cheaper consumer-grade cells that don't have as much "stuff" in them as the industrial-grade cells sold online. You'll probably see two differences performance-wise. The online cells will hold up better under load, so the motor will pull better and sound stronger. Plus, I would expect the online packs to hold up better over time.
Old 12-14-2004, 01:22 PM
MUSIC PUBLISHER

Thanks Matt..