Community
Search
Notices
E-Flight Power Sources Ask questions or read about power sources as they specifically relate to e-flight including Lithium-ion, Li-Poly, Nimh and Nicad battery packs.

Operating Temperature

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2004, 07:02 PM
Ribcracker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Operating Temperature

The literature that I got with my Thunder Power li-po pack has a section about operating temperature. It says...Charge: 32 to 113 degrees F Discharge: 32 to 140 degrees F.
Where on earth does it get to be 140 degrees? Are they talking about ambient temp. or pack temp?
I live in Michigan where we probably wont see temps above freezing until spring. Am I NOT supposed to fly until then?
What about NiMH packs? Can they be used in freezing weather? Boy, I'd sure hate to be grounded till spring!
How about it, guys?
Old 12-15-2004, 09:34 AM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Default RE: Operating Temperature

They're talking about pack temperature, obviously. It doesn't get to 140 degrees anywhere I know of that you'd want to fly...

Flying in the winter is fine. Just remember that cold packs don't perform as well. Keep them in the car, under your armpits, or wherever to keep them warm until you fly, and don't charge them outside in the middle of a blizzard...
Old 12-15-2004, 03:38 PM
Ribcracker

Matt,
Thanks for putting my mind to ease. Fortunately, I can fly in my "back yard" so I charge my packs in the house. Now, if the wind would just die down...
Old 12-21-2004, 10:35 PM
Capt Don

Hi Matt,

I live outside of Syracuse and plan to fly a lot this winter. Assuming I keep the batteries warm until just before flying can I expect the same flight duration as for warm weather? Would there be a different answer for LiPo's vs Ni-Cad's?

Now that I have a brand new Whattmeter, I suppose I could find the answer by running warm indoor vs cold outdoor tests using the same battery and the same output wattage. Does that make sense? Would motor performance vary a lot from warm to cold operation?

Capt Don