Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > E-Flight Power Sources
Reload this Page >

lipo charging and time taken

Community
Search
Notices
E-Flight Power Sources Ask questions or read about power sources as they specifically relate to e-flight including Lithium-ion, Li-Poly, Nimh and Nicad battery packs.

lipo charging and time taken

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2004, 03:25 PM
Flying Scotsman 70

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lipo charging and time taken

i am getting some 3s1p( 1 Kokam 640 and 1 Kokam 910) and the charger i want to get only charges at 0.3, 0.6 and 0.9 amps. i was wondering whats the limit for charging these packs(in Amps) and how fast can i charge them without ruining them?And How long will it take for them to charge at there fastest (in Minutes)

Also what is the equation for working out time taken to charge and reasonable charge current

Happy Holidays
Old 12-20-2004, 05:20 PM
Flypaper 2

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: lipo charging and time taken

Lipo batts. are charged at 1 C or it's rated capacity which, for your 640 would be .6. Use the closest number below it's capacity. For your .910 it would be .9. Usually it takes 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 hrs. to charge but at 1 hr it's 90 to 95 % fully charged so you could take it off and fly it. Make sure it's set for 3 cells or 11.4 volts. Double check everything before you press the start button. Hope this helps.
Old 12-22-2004, 05:17 PM
miltm
My Feedback: (3)

Flypaper 2 is basically right, although I think he had a typo with 11.4V. For a 3S LiPo pack the voltage should be 11.1V. Also, the time is somewhat dependent on the charger you are using. You are using a charger that is specifically capable of handling LiPo batteries, right? That's a very important point. Don't ever use a charger that's not LiPo capable!!

I have found that my Triton charger takes much longer to charge a given pack at its 1C rate than my AstroFlight 109. Any good LiPo charger has built-in alorgrithms and some are more conservative than others.

But, like Flypaper 2 said, don't exceed 1C
Old 12-23-2004, 02:51 AM
Flying Scotsman 70

thanks for the help