Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > E-Flight Power Sources
Reload this Page >

Short term storage of LiPo batteries

Community
Search
Notices
E-Flight Power Sources Ask questions or read about power sources as they specifically relate to e-flight including Lithium-ion, Li-Poly, Nimh and Nicad battery packs.

Short term storage of LiPo batteries

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2005, 04:18 PM
Lammy1000

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Short term storage of LiPo batteries

Do LiPo's have to be stored in a fireproof container of some sort. If so, I've considered using an old metal toolbox filling it 1/4 full of sand. Would I then want vent holes? Hopefully this is all unnecessary. Thanks
Old 01-23-2005, 07:36 PM
Direwolf

Default RE: Short term storage of LiPo batteries

No. A lithium polymer battery cannot spontaneously combust. What you should worry about is the possibility of the battery accidentally shorting itself while stored. If you cap exposed wires or leads with electrical tape to avoid this possibility, then you've got nothing to worry about.

Sand is a BAD idea, unless it has been fired to remove all moisture. You may have read that sand can be used to put out a lithium fire, but this only applies to sand that has no water in it. Water, even in small amounts, will only intensify a lithium fire.
Old 01-23-2005, 08:01 PM
Lammy1000

Thanks for the info.
Old 10-24-2007, 06:33 PM
Whistler71

I have a small fridge that I can dedicate to lipo batteries, should I store them even when fully charged in this said fridge or just store them in there at the 3.8V per cell storage voltage if not used for more than a week or two...?
Old 10-26-2007, 03:57 PM
Ryan CSRC

The vast majority of Lipo related accidents occur either when charging or discharging, or when a short is caused. Shorts are pretty unlikely when the battery is just at rest, and so is the chance of the lipo spontaneously igniting. If you like extra piece of mind but do not want a huge safe I recomend trying something like the Lipo Safe in the accessories page of our website.

Ryan Lefevre
www.CommonSenseRC.com
The Go To Guys For Electric Power
Old 10-26-2007, 11:56 PM
Whistler71

ORIGINAL: Ryan CSRC

The vast majority of Lipo related accidents occur either when charging or discharging, or when a short is caused. Shorts are pretty unlikely when the battery is just at rest, and so is the chance of the lipo spontaneously igniting. If you like extra piece of mind but do not want a huge safe I recomend trying something like the Lipo Safe in the accessories page of our website.

Ryan Lefevre
www.CommonSenseRC.com
The Go To Guys For Electric Power
I am not worried about the lipo catching fire at all, I just want to make sure to get the most performance out of them and also make sure that performance will last as many years as possible.