Community
Search
Notices
E-Flight Power Sources Ask questions or read about power sources as they specifically relate to e-flight including Lithium-ion, Li-Poly, Nimh and Nicad battery packs.

help needed with setup

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2005, 11:27 PM
TwinPythons

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help needed with setup

I have a ProJeti wing and recently purchased an aveox 27/13/3 with a phoenix-35 ESC. I'm a newbe when it comes to LiPo. If i put in a
3c 2100mAh LiPo , will it smoke my motor, ESC or possibly turn my plane into a ball of fire by drawing too many amps from the LiPo?
help please.
Old 01-25-2005, 12:45 PM
GalenB
My Feedback: (18)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: help needed with setup

As I understand things ( I am a newbie to e-flight as well so hopefully others will correct as necessary) you should be fine. Most LiPo packs are rated for a max 10C discharge. So -- for your setup with 2.1 amp packs the max you will draw is 21 amps. This assumes you don't have the new Kokam 15-20C packs... All that being said -- you are unlikely to draw 21 amps just because in theory you can. Your motor and prop combo will determine how many amps are drawn and how many watts of power are produced. If you really want to know how many amps you are drawing then you should invest in a watt meter (AstroFlight model 101 -- this is the larger model that handles more than the 17 amp model 100) and measure the current between the battery and the speed controller...
Old 01-25-2005, 08:25 PM
TwinPythons

thanks for the help Galen!
Old 01-26-2005, 09:23 AM
raabid

http://brantuas.com/ezcalc/dma1.asp

If you go here you can check out what setup you're planning to use, it will get you in the ball park. You would still be well served to get your hands on a wattmeter. The motor and battery are well matched just don't overprop it. Lipos are relatively safe, they don't just sponatenously explode. You can over amp them for BRIEF period to test setup. Just don't run them too long over their intended range. Overheat them +130F, or short the leads, and they will bite!
Old 01-26-2005, 08:08 PM
TwinPythons

I'm planning on using a 4.75x4.75 Graupner racing prop.

thanks for the help and the website. Looks like there will be a wattmeter in my future.