Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > E-Flight Power Sources
Reload this Page >

ok to store lipo's fully charge?

Notices
E-Flight Power Sources Ask questions or read about power sources as they specifically relate to e-flight including Lithium-ion, Li-Poly, Nimh and Nicad battery packs.

ok to store lipo's fully charge?

Old 02-09-2005, 10:12 PM
boosted180
My Feedback: (8)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ok to store lipo's fully charge?

is it ok to store a lipo pack after it's fully charged? not for long term but let's say a few days to a week.

i sometimes find myself in a situation where i've charged up my batterires to go fly the next day and because of weather
or other reasons, i dont fly and am not able until another few days or more than a week later. do i need to discharge them
in these situations? do they get damaged in anyway staying fully charged for this lenght of time?

thanx,
brian
Old 02-10-2005, 06:45 AM
jooNorway

Default RE: ok to store lipo's fully charge?

It is said that LiPos should be long-time stored at appr 40% charge....
Old 02-10-2005, 07:59 AM
gwright

Just fine to store them fully charged. For long term storage they should be AT LEAST 40%, but full is fine. I've got quite a lot of lipos,.. flying everything from little 2S 760 packs up to 10S4P packs in 1/4 scale and larger planes/helis, and I try to keep them all fully charged so I can go fly whenever I have time and the urge hits. I was one of the first to test the larger thunder power packs before they were available to the market, and have at least as much experience with them as anyone. My oldest pack, 3S4P 7800mah,.. had just over 400 cycles on it when I returned it to thunder power for testing. It had been used a lot of course, most all the time storing at full charge when possible,.. and at 400 cycles over a couple years it only showed a 7% reduction in capacity. Storing fully charged, they only lose a percent or two in months, so you can keep them fully charged and always be ready to fly.
Old 02-10-2005, 09:47 AM
Red Scholefield
Banned
My Feedback: (9)

It is difficult to pin down the manufacturers (the people that actually make the cells) as to a number of questions regarding Lithium technology as we apply it in the modeling community. I have found that answers via the distributors vary nearly as much as those from the actual users. It appears we have to build our own technical data base on lithium technology according to our unique application requirements.

As for Garry, I've seen him fly and he doesn't baby the packs. Of course realize that "long term storage" for us here in the sunshine state is seldome longer than a month as opposed to "northern storage" that can be closer to 9 months between flying sessions. Like Garry, I like to charge mine after each flying session so they will be ready for the next one, be it tomorrow or next month.
Old 02-10-2005, 09:56 AM
Greg Covey

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Like Gary, I've struck a compromise between storing my Lithiums "the best way" and storing them "the most practicle way".

In upstate NY, we have a limited flying season in the Winter so most of my bigger planes are grounded until springtime. Although it is a pain to store them at a 40% charge level, it is equally effective to store them at very cold temperatures. Cold temperatures like 0 degrees C are not a problem in the winter months so my Lithiums are stored in a box in my garage at full charge. If I think that i'll need some for weekend flying due to a nice weather break, i'll bring them inside the day before use.

My indoor flying Lithium packs are also stored in the cold until a day before an event. Now, I only wish I was living down in Florida!

For more information on storing batteries, check out the [link=http://www.batteryuniversity.com/print-partone-19.htm]Battery University[/link].