Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > E-Flight Power Sources
Reload this Page >

Should I charge LiPo 1 cell at a time?

Notices
E-Flight Power Sources Ask questions or read about power sources as they specifically relate to e-flight including Lithium-ion, Li-Poly, Nimh and Nicad battery packs.

Should I charge LiPo 1 cell at a time?

Old 02-25-2005, 06:26 PM
DwightMann

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should I charge LiPo 1 cell at a time?

I am new to electrics.
I have a 3s 11.1v 1600mah LiPo battery, and a Triton charger.
The battery has a lead that allows me to charge/discharge 1 cell at a time.
The charger is capable of charging 4 cell at a time, so I tried to charge the pack through the main (11.1v) lead. The charger was set for 11.1v and 1.4 amps. The battery got hot and died.
I now charge the new pack 1 cell at a time, but it takes almost 4 hours to charge the pack.
Was I unfortunate to loose a pack, is it safe to charge all 3 cells through the output lead?
Old 02-25-2005, 06:59 PM
oldphart

Default RE: Should I charge LiPo 1 cell at a time?

If you decide to charge 1 cell at at time,I would have thouught you should set the charger to the voltage appropriate voltage for 1 cell i.e 4.2 v.Charging 1 cell at atime is only required to equalise the cells,probabably about every 10 or so cycles.I have been using 2 and 3 cell packs for about 18 months now ,and have never found it necessry to equalise cells.in fact most packs do not have this facility.Sugest you contact your vendor and confirm this.
Old 02-26-2005, 02:19 AM
czechyour6

Default RE: Should I charge LiPo 1 cell at a time?

As per Tanic, they say only equalize cells if voltage is more than .05 to .1 Volts difference between all cells. If not, Charge em all together!