Community
Search
Notices
E-Flight Power Sources Ask questions or read about power sources as they specifically relate to e-flight including Lithium-ion, Li-Poly, Nimh and Nicad battery packs.

super brain 959 charger

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2005, 02:20 PM
mrluke

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default super brain 959 charger

I am new to electric planes and was sold a charger I don't think is aproprate for my needs. A super brain 959. I amusing it to charge a 7.2/270 ni cd for my tiger moth and the first couple of carges took great but now power seems slugish even though the charger says it's charged? Now I am afraid to try my new 9.6 750 ni mh AAA on it! Is it me or the charger !
Old 03-01-2005, 09:29 AM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Default RE: super brain 959 charger

If you use the right settings, it should work okay. I'm somewhat familiar with the 959's capabilities, but not with its operation, unfortunately, so I can only give you general guidelines.

Set the charge rate as close to the battery's capacity as you can, without going over if at all possible. For a 270mAh pack, get as close to 270mA, or .27A for a charge rate as you can. The 959's lowest setting may be only .5A, which is a little high for a 270mAh pack, but okay for a 720mAh pack.
Old 03-01-2005, 11:52 PM
mrluke

even if the 750 pack is AAA's. someone told me they didn't think it worrked on cells that small?
Old 03-02-2005, 02:09 PM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

It's not the physical size of the cells in this case; it's the capacity.

What's the lowest charge rate on a 959? If you can charge at .75 Amps or lower, it'll be fine.
Old 03-11-2005, 06:03 PM
agexpert
My Feedback: (1)

I have that charger.

I use it for NiMH and NiCD. It will charge as low as .5 Amps. It works very well for me. Charge your packs at the lowest setting, especially the 750 MAH packs. I think the rule of thumb is 1/10 of capacity, but I usually go low and slow, to keep my packs in good shape. I wonder if I am doing something wrong??

Anyway, check to see that you are not charging those packs at the default setting, which is 3A ( I still don't know why it defaults to 3 Amps). You need to manually select the lower setting every time. It becomes automatic after a while.
Old 03-11-2005, 06:41 PM
-pkh-
My Feedback: (2)

I charge my 4AAA flight pack on my 959 at a 1C charge rate (700mA or so) and it works fine... they get warm, but not too hot. You just have to be sure you check the charge current setting and the cell count on the charger... I just use the default delta peak setting.