Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > E-Flight Power Sources
Reload this Page >

Power source suggestions?

Community
Search
Notices
E-Flight Power Sources Ask questions or read about power sources as they specifically relate to e-flight including Lithium-ion, Li-Poly, Nimh and Nicad battery packs.

Power source suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2005, 05:40 AM
jbflier

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power source suggestions?

I am going to purchase a 12V power source for my Astro 109. I am going to be charging 3s2p 4200mAh lipo's. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated in advance.............
Old 03-03-2005, 04:12 PM
Greg Covey

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Power source suggestions?

John,

You can find a supply at many places like Radio Shack or the home improvement stores. You basically want a regulated 12v-14v supply that can deliver 5-10amps.

Hobby Lobby sells one [link=http://www.hobby-lobby.com/chargers.htm]here[/link] at the bottom of the page.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Gd93763.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	27.1 KB
ID:	237568  
Old 03-03-2005, 04:21 PM
-pkh-
My Feedback: (2)

I just bought a $30 ATX computer supply off of Ebay that I'm going to use... just have to connect some power resistors or automotive bulbs up to the 5V supply to get the 12V supply regulated properly... there's a link posted somewhere here in the forums that shows how to do it...
Old 03-03-2005, 07:03 PM
jbflier

Hi Greg; Again you have been very helpful during my Funtana conversion; and light seems to be appearing at the end of the tunnel. In Hobby Lobby's description of their power supply they say "there are 2 pair of screw-clamp 12V output terminals" Does this meen I can use 2 chargers off of this one power supply? I ask because I"m leaning towards getting another Astro 109 for my lipo's..........
Old 03-05-2005, 07:24 AM
Greg Covey

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sure, you can connect two chargers to the single supply. The key point is not to draw a combined current of over 12.5amps when both chargers are in use together. If you charge the Lithium packs a 1C, this should work ok. Many times, i'll charge larger capacity packs like your 4200mAh pack at less than 1C...say about 3amps instead of 4.2amps.
Old 03-05-2005, 09:13 AM
jbflier

Thanks Greg; So even at 1C, both chargers should be under the 12.5 amp level with a 4200mAh lipo on each correct? Thanks....I'm getting very close(and comfortable) to completion........