Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > E-Flight Power Sources
Reload this Page >

How long should it take to charge my new LiPos?

Community
Search
Notices
E-Flight Power Sources Ask questions or read about power sources as they specifically relate to e-flight including Lithium-ion, Li-Poly, Nimh and Nicad battery packs.

How long should it take to charge my new LiPos?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2005, 11:58 PM
elwoodkinder

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How long should it take to charge my new LiPos?

I hate to ask such a stupid question but being a complete novice to the electric scene I have to ask-Just how long should it take to charge my new Etec 11volt 1200ma LiPo batteries? I just purchased a new GP Triton charger and a complete package from Fancy Foam (by the way, great service and plane too). I have been charging the two sets of batteries individually of course and it has been taking every bit of 90 minutes to charge each pack. I have been using the 1.2 amp setting as recommended. I purchased 2 packs to lessen the wait time between flights but with only 12 minute flights at best I am still waiting a good hour and 15 minutes just to get to fly again. I have flown nitro for the past 20 years and this electric stuff has renewed my spirit; but I like to fly and not just talk. Any ideas? I realize I could go with a larger pack but geez won't I just add more charge time? Few fellas in our club are flying electric and since I seem to be the test subject I really don't want to let the other guys down.
Old 03-25-2005, 12:02 AM
INeedHelp
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: How long should it take to charge my new LiPos?

That sounds about right. I would think your run times would be longer though unless your into the throttle alot.
Old 03-25-2005, 02:41 AM
elwoodkinder

Thanks for the help so far but just to be sure... This is the battery pack that I am using:Etec 11.1 v, 1200 Mah pack (3s1p), Hi-Discharge. I am charging at 1.2 amps. Is this correct? I am running a HiMax 2812-0850 motor & a CC Phoenix 25 controller & honestly I am only getting maybe 12 minutes of flight time per charge and I am really not getting on the throttle alot. The Fancy Foam website states that the batteries should give up to 20 minute flight times and I am not even close. Everyone that I have been reading about in these forums have stated that their charge times per pack are about an hour. Mine are more like 1 hour 45 minutes. I just want to make sure I am doing everything right and if I am then I guess I will have to invest in another charger and a couple more battery packs.
Old 03-25-2005, 08:14 AM
exeter_acres
My Feedback: (2)

I have NO IDEA where they get those run numbers.... I use a 1320mAh pack and a 1500mAh pack with either the Himaxx 20125-4100 geared) and the 2812-650...on a 3dfoamy... 10 minutes tops!...

as for the charge....
mine take a bit more than an hour if I ran them down///
Old 03-25-2005, 12:23 PM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Charge times will depend on the charger. Some are more fussy than others about getting the batteries to EXACTLY 12.6 Volts.

The problem here is that LiPolys need a constant voltage charge, and cannot take being charged to over 4.2 Volts per cell. As the voltage in the cells gets closer and closer to 4.2 Volts per cell, the charge rate drops lower and lower. You start out at 1C, which in theory should give you a 1-hour charge, but after 20 minutes or so, you've hit the peak voltage, and the rate starts dropping. By the end, you're probably charging at .00000001C. Pulse-type chargers like the Astro 109 help speed things up somewhat because rather than a true constant voltage charge, they send short bursts of electricity at 1C. Short bursts are okay, having the voltage too high for a period of time is what hurts.

Now, you don't have to wait until the bitter end. It takes 1/3 of the charge time to pump in the last 10% of the pack's capacity. After an hour, you're generally at around 95% of a full charge, so as long as you pay attention to the low-voltage cutoff of 3.0 Volts per cell, you can just pull them off the charger and go flying even though they're not technically "done."
Old 03-25-2005, 05:31 PM
I & C Tech

That Himax must be thirsty. I just flew initial flights on two Polyquest 1500's on an Axi 2212/34 w/11x4.7SF and am getting a solid twenty minutes per pack. But.... I'm not hanging it on the prop the whole time either.