Community
Search
Notices
E-Flight Power Sources Ask questions or read about power sources as they specifically relate to e-flight including Lithium-ion, Li-Poly, Nimh and Nicad battery packs.

discharge question?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2005, 08:23 PM
mrluke

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default discharge question?

Someone told me it was a good idea to cycle a battety pack a couple of times before you actually use it. slow charge then slow dicharge. my first question is is the useful and my next question is how do I slowly discharge a pack of NiMh
Old 04-05-2005, 06:36 AM
guver
My Feedback: (325)

Default RE: discharge question?

That is a good idea to at least charge them once with a slow trickle charge overnite to make sure all the cells are equally charged (full)

Not sure if a slow discharge is neccessary after that , I think it won't benefit any. You can use a single tail lite bulb to do it, but the thing to remember is to watch the voltage and not go below 1 volt per cell.
Old 04-05-2005, 10:26 AM
-pkh-
My Feedback: (2)

I would just go ahead and use it in your model... supposedly you'll get a little more capacity out of it after a few cycles, but I've not seen that much difference, personally.

If you really want to cycle it first, and you don't have a charger/cycler that can discharge your pack down to the proper cutoff, you can just run your model on the bench at low throttle until your ESC low voltage cutoff kicks in...
Old 04-07-2005, 08:28 PM
mrluke

what if I just let it set for a week will it discharge? Does this hurt the batt in any way?
Old 04-07-2005, 09:44 PM
guver
My Feedback: (325)

It will get flat and lose some charge, just recharge and go.