Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > E-Flight Power Sources
Reload this Page >

Aerobird Challenger battery

Community
Search
Notices
E-Flight Power Sources Ask questions or read about power sources as they specifically relate to e-flight including Lithium-ion, Li-Poly, Nimh and Nicad battery packs.

Aerobird Challenger battery

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2005, 07:02 PM
bigB

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aerobird Challenger battery

What batteries would you reccomend for the Aerobird Challenger? I have the stock 7.4 battery, and am going to get an upgrade. I was thinking of the CBP 1150 batteries or KAN 1050. I don't have a lot of money to go lithium, but if lipos can be done for under $70 w/charger, that is an option too. Thank you.
Old 04-07-2005, 03:24 PM
BadSplice
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Aerobird Challenger battery

I dont know much about either of those, but I hear good things about the KAN 1050s. I would reccomend a 7 cell pack, 8 cells will be more weight than its worth for the power. for the aerobird, I would suggest sticking with Nimh, you'll be able to buy more batteries for your $, and for that plane, 3 7cell packs is better than 1 2cell lipo.
Old 04-10-2005, 08:10 PM
wile_e_coyote_n_taz

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_22...tm.htm#2289253
Old 04-13-2005, 04:54 PM
bigB

I decided to go with the CBP 1150's. They have 50 more mah and are cheaper. I don't really need batteries like Gold Peak that can pull 30+ amps if I'm just using it on a park flyer.
Old 04-18-2005, 05:03 PM
bigB

Now that I have the CBP 1150, do I need to adjust anything for COG?
Old 05-09-2005, 09:47 PM
MR TBONE

I bought 3 7 cell packs from CBP for my Aerobird Challenger. They run well and there is a notable boast in power, although they really get hot (too hot for my pocket afterward). As for the CG, I know it should be a bit nose heavy, but I didn't do anything, and I think it fly better than the 6 cell pack. It still thermals well, and climbs like a rabbit out of a hole. It also is much louder, and all those wisper quiet brushless plane guys make fun of my orange screamer.

Some people have said to cut the foam behind the battery in half, and move that piece in front of the battery to balance the CG. My recomendation...drop them in, fly it, if you don't like the way it feel, try the foam thing.

My 2 Cents.
Old 05-10-2005, 12:44 PM
critterhunter

Yep, I love the 7 cells and the plane didn't need any special trimming versus the 6 cell. Either flies well in it. Scroll down a page or so and you'll see a thread on Challenger batteries. I did timed static run tests using the 7v 6 cell, the 900 ma 8v 7 cell, and the Venom 8v 7 cell 1100ma. I'm going to run two 2 cell lipos in parallel soon enough, giving roughly 3000ma or so of flying time.