Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > E-Flight Power Sources
Reload this Page >

charging Lipos after partial discharge

Community
Search
Notices
E-Flight Power Sources Ask questions or read about power sources as they specifically relate to e-flight including Lithium-ion, Li-Poly, Nimh and Nicad battery packs.

charging Lipos after partial discharge

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2005, 08:22 PM
HELI3DPILOT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default charging Lipos after partial discharge

I'm new to Lipo batteries and was wondering if it's ok to recharge them when they are only partialy discharged. I am using TP 1320 ma, 3 cell batteries and I'm getting about 18 minutes flight time to discharge them to 9 v cutoff. I was wondering if it's ok to recharge them after about 10 minutes of discharge time and an open voltage of about 11 volts?[sm=confused.gif]
Old 05-04-2005, 08:49 PM
exeter_acres
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: charging Lipos after partial discharge

Yep....no problem with lipo....

assuming you are using a charger specifically designed for LipO..... pop them on and charge away
Old 05-05-2005, 07:12 AM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Actually, it's no problem with ANY battery technology we currently use for our R/C planes, as long as you use the proper charger.

I take it you've heard that you need to completely discharge NiCd and NiMH each and every flight? It's an old wives' tale. NiMH have never had this "memory" problem, and NiCd technology has advanced in the last 20+ years to the point where "memory" is no longer an issue.

Of course, this is about LiPoly. Recharging a LiPoly is just like filling a gas tank. Just don't try to "top off" the tank once it's been filled, and you'll be fine.
Old 05-05-2005, 09:48 PM
HELI3DPILOT

Thanks for the info on LiPo battery charging. I'm using a LiPo charger and was just wondering if charging LiPos was any different than NiCd as far as charging a partially charged battery. I've been charging partially charged NiCds for the last 15 years with no problems. Thanks for the help.