Community
Search
Notices
E-Flight Power Sources Ask questions or read about power sources as they specifically relate to e-flight including Lithium-ion, Li-Poly, Nimh and Nicad battery packs.

li po fire

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2005, 11:04 AM
tf2psycho
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default li po fire

[link=http://www.helihobby.com/videos/LithiumBattery.wmv]click to see lipo blowup[/link]
this has been going around but one of my favorites
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr49359.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	68.2 KB
ID:	268215  
Old 05-07-2005, 11:27 AM
TedShredz

Default RE: li po fire

Holy crap[:-]!

I'm gonna go looking for the lid to the container I'm using to do this.

I accidentally damaged a 3C lipo by dropping it. It started to behave like a 2 cell- it wouldn't charge beyond ~8.6 V. I tried to fool the situation by changing the settings on my charger (Triton) to think it was a 2 cell, and then switch to a 3 cell when I got the max, to see if it would take any more. Nothing came of this, fortunately, because of the built in safety features of the charger, but if I had the settings wrong things could have gone south just like that. Scarey...

Maybe it's time for a temp probe, and a surplus ammo case.

Thanks for the post. Reality sinks in!

T
Old 05-08-2005, 12:21 AM
Oh Yeah!!

Holy $#@%!
Old 05-08-2005, 08:56 AM
bdavison
My Feedback: (1)

Guys, something else of note....

When it was just sitting there expanding, the thing was already so hot you would have recieved severe burns if you touched it. I had one start expanding like that, and that puppy got BLISTERING hot. And it didnt explode.

I ended up having to yank it out of the plane by the wires. Because the battery itself was too hot to touch. It got so hot, it was melting the foam on the plane.
Old 05-08-2005, 11:36 AM
Ian.W

i love that video! its great, though it does make me think when right this minute ive got my lipos charging at 3C upstairs....
Old 05-08-2005, 05:21 PM
Tall Paul

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: edible_engine

i love that video! its great, though it does make me think when right this minute ive got my lipos charging at 3C upstairs....
Upstairs!!!!!!!!???????????
They should be -OUTSIDE-!!!!
on a concrete slab
With nothing flammable close by.
Old 05-09-2005, 07:20 AM
akahoverit
My Feedback: (2)

Yes I know all too well, except mine happened on a dork and my pack flew off and must have been punchered by the prop when it broke, instant flare, luckily it flew far enough from my plane that there was no other damage, just a 50 dollar pack with only 2 flights through it.
Old 05-09-2005, 09:17 AM
schroedm

Just how long are your packs lasting with you charging them at 3C - you've gotta be knackering them pretty quick!! [&:] [X(]
Old 05-09-2005, 12:01 PM
Mike in DC

This is a serious question: How many people actually "attend" their batteries while charging? I've seen this warning not to "charge batteries unattended" on several sites. Do they really think people sit there watching their batteries charge?

If it's really important that you watch your batteries charge, I think the battery industry must be in denial, and really wanting to sell batteries, because it seems to me that very few people sit around watching batteries charge.
Old 05-09-2005, 12:08 PM
Tall Paul

That's why you put them outside, where any incident will only affect the battery, not burn down the house.
Old 05-09-2005, 12:11 PM
DHG
My Feedback: (7)

Um ... OK ... I'm a believer now!!

I think the bouncing-flamethrower action adds a certain je ne sais quois ... as do the mirage ripples of heat around the thing, even before the cover starts to tear.

"Charge over concrete, fly over grass" sounds like a good motto for these things.

Duane Gall
RCPRO
Old 05-09-2005, 12:12 PM
Ian.W

ORIGINAL: schroedm

Just how long are your packs lasting with you charging them at 3C - you've gotta be knackering them pretty quick!! [&:] [X(]
Mark, ive had OVER 500 cycles on this pack, and i cant see any drop in performance, somethimes i feel its getting better, this pack (kokam 340s) just go on and on and on and on........ id say a good 300 of those cycles have been at 1A, never get warm, nothing at about 25 mins its put in the usual charge, about 280mAh and then off i go flying, as soon as i land, back on the charger it goes. I think theres a huge paranoier (sorry for poor spelling) about these lipos. Give it time and i think this will ebb away, people have told me stories about how when nicads first came out (i wasnt around back then) people always thought they would blow up, same with Nimhs

And no, i never look over my packs apart from the first 2 mins or so incase my charger goes wrong and doesnt stop at 1A and keeps on increasing.

Am i mad?
Ian
Old 05-09-2005, 12:18 PM
DHG

OK, now here's a followup question.

My basement has window wells with gravel at the bottom and an iron grate over the top. I've used them as a spray booth and as temporary storage for toxic trash, like paper towels I've used to clean up paint or lacquer thinner. Access is easy by taking out the window screens and sliding the window open.

Seems like this would be a good place to charge and store the LiPos, but of course it's not heated. Do LiPos care how cold they get? Will they freeze?

Thx

Duane
Old 05-09-2005, 06:19 PM
bdavison

Lipos normally perform best when warmer. Cold tends to make them...well....pfffffft.

The best option, and the one that most of us use is a simple old army metal ammo can. That seems to be the going thing.

Here are a couple of other options.

Take those square concrete stepping stones like they have at walmart and build a box out of them. Use a little quikcrete to "glue" them together. Then just put the batteries inside and put a stone on top. Not much is going to get through 2" of concrete.

Look up "BATTERY BUNKER" online. Many people sware by these things, Its a ceramic heatsheild bucket thing.

Old 05-09-2005, 06:54 PM
DHG

Thanks, those are good tips. Also the Pyrex pan & sandbag for charging ... crude but effective, Mistah Bond!

Lithiumfinger
Old 05-09-2005, 08:46 PM
3D-kid330

I charge em in my pocket LOL J/K

That vid makes me want to be more careful, if that ever happened in my shop it would have burned the whole house down.[X(]
Old 05-10-2005, 10:51 AM
edge_pilot
My Feedback: (73)

I use LiPo's all the time, so far so good. I have seen videos like this before. I have taken it upon myself to buy chargers that charge just LiPo batteries. Its to easy for a charger that charges all batteries to be set on the wrong setting. I beleave they shouldn't sell chargers that charge ALL types of batteries, just a personal opinion that would help people from burning down there airplane trailer or even worse there garage or house. I usually charge mine in a heavy glass mixing bowl set away from everything when I charge them in the house. This is not fire proof but it sure would help if something went wrong. The batteries are always going to be around, the foamies could not fly without them. People just need to go the extra mile in safety if they are going to play with LiPo's.
Old 05-10-2005, 11:05 AM
EpoweredRC

WOW!!!!!! I never had seen a video like that before I knew they could do that but never seen it.I love lipos tho there great stuff you just have to be careful and pay attetion to what yoru doing dont be chrging a 3 cell and making the chrger think it a 2 cell or the other way around.you dont have to watch them the whole time just check on them and make sure they do start chrging corectly i dont think anyone takes them outside!!!!!!To charge there batteries...
Old 05-10-2005, 08:27 PM
tylerman

Oh man[X(]-
Somehow my Lipo's always end up charging next to a gallon of nitro fuel--BAD IDEA.
At least with me being a piro i can get some sort of sick pleasure out of an explosion
Old 05-10-2005, 09:47 PM
DrDeath
My Feedback: (3)

Guys,

LiPo's can be dangerous if you don't use care. I use a couple of things to charge mine (in the garage).

1) Use a good charger that will charge LiPos
2) Use a charger that has a temperature gauge that will cut off at a set temperature. I set mine at 85 degrees. My batteries when charging at the correct rate should never get warmer than 85.
3) Use a container like a Pyrex dish or a good kiln fired flower pot to place them in
4) WHEN CHARGING WATCH THEM AND STAY IN THE ROOM.

I usually watch them or I am in the same room. I am getting ready to build a little rig that will have a smoke detector on the top.

LiPos are safe if used and charged correctly. Like anything, in the wrong hands or using the wrong charger, or just plan being stupid will get you in trouble. As someone said, my little crappy foamy would not be fun without my 3cell LiPo.

Lee
Old 05-11-2005, 12:56 PM
Ian.W

ORIGINAL: DrDeath

I usually watch them or I am in the same room.
sorry, but watching a battery for 1 hour is like watching paint dry for 1 hour. see what i mean, its DULL. i usually have the batteries near me, but sometimes if my power supply, charger and everything is setup in my bedroom ill just bung it on. as i said over 500 cycles and not a problem charging my kokam 340s at 1A. i usually check them every 5 to 10 mins for the temperature (sounds daft, but if u use the bottom of your bottom lip, this is far more sensitive to heat than your hands, so i use it ) and not once does it feel anymore than charging at .3A and ive never had a cell go puffy or anything. If im charging more expencive packs (prob getting a equivelent of a $75 pack tommorow) ill charge them at 1C, including the ones i use for my RXs via regulators. its just i think these kokam 340s are bullet proof, unless there shorted, even thought thats happened a few times to me, and ive also reduced the pack below 9v, twice to 6v and once to 3v, tho as it was a very very slow discharge no damage done!
Old 05-11-2005, 01:03 PM
DrDeath
My Feedback: (3)

I agree. Paint drying is much more exciting!!!! I am usually working on something else in my workshop during that time. Usually soldering something, building something or doing airplane maintenance. It seems as though maintenance is an on-going theme.

Lee
Old 05-11-2005, 04:27 PM
DHG

"Only charge in the garage or outside" and "never allow to charge unattended" seem mutually exclusive, especially for us busy Americans who have important TV to watch. How about "charge in a fire-safe enclosure, and check on it periodically but don't leave the house"?

A 1C rate takes about an hour ... "Desperate Housewives" takes about an hour ... Coincidence? I think not.
Old 05-11-2005, 07:55 PM
3D-kid330

LOL
Old 05-11-2005, 08:37 PM
leeul

Does this mean that we need to watch our cell phone charge also LOL
My charger is for 3 cells only and all I use is 3 cell batteries and metal box for safety, and yes I do keep an eye on them.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.