Community
Search
Notices
E-Flight Power Sources Ask questions or read about power sources as they specifically relate to e-flight including Lithium-ion, Li-Poly, Nimh and Nicad battery packs.

Who has the best lipo's?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2005, 11:51 PM
ryanf420

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who has the best lipo's?

I am now upgrading and purchasing lipo components...So, as I found out there are all different manufactures of lipo's...So far I have purchased thunder power.....but of course there is eflite,kokam,eclipse,electrfly, ect. ect.....So any one want to comment on this?

Through my own knowledge of reading the FMA Direct Kokam lipo's is the best..why they are the best..I don't know. this is just what marketing for FMA has led me to believe.

anyone?
Old 05-20-2005, 09:14 AM
billz

Default RE: Who has the best lipo's?

Ryan,

I'm somewaht in the boat you are, but a little further along. I've tried Kokam, Electrifly, ThunderPower, and just got a couple of PolyQuest's. From my limited experience they all some to be similar but...
- ThunderPower seems to pack more Mah in a smaller size. Their 3 cell 1320 Mah per hour is smaller than most of the competitors batteries at a similar Mah.
- The only Kokam I had had one cell that swelled. Not sure why since it wasn't during a charge on even connected - I must have damaged it somehow.
- The Electrifly has seperate charge and discharge connections - I prefer dealing with one connector for both operations
- The polyquest; I just got these from www.cheapbatterypacks.com - a good deal. I haven't flown with them yet but I like the packaging. They are the only vendor I've seen that has some rubberized material built-in to the battery package (I assume for some cushioning).

I hope that helps some.
Old 05-20-2005, 12:18 PM
Greg Covey

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The choice for which Lithium pack you choose is often determined by your own definition of "best". Is best the lowest cost? How about most current delivery per cell? Could it be overall weight? Customer service? Is fire safety a concern? How about investment security? How long will your pack really last? Your definition of "best" is likely a combination of these issues and more.

When I consider the basics of which cell, pack, or brand to use in my application, here is what comes to mind in order of priority.
[ul][*] Rated current delivery[*] Shape[*] Longevity[*] Vendor support[*] Safety[*] Weight
[/ul]

Nothing tops the usability more than rated current delivery. 20C rules in this area! If you key on weight then you may likely end up with packs that have paralleled cells. The quad (4x) energy density of Lithium over NiCd technology in general is the biggest differentiator. This Lithium energy density is also double that of NiMH cells.

If safety, longevity, and, investment security are a concern, look to the 2-cell Scorpion car packs and the 2-cell Balance Pro packs as well as the new 2-cell to 6-cell Skyvolt packs as they all can maintain their health during both charge and discharge.
Old 05-21-2005, 02:14 AM
ryanf420

Thank you greg for the input on this manner, I appriciate it.

Have you greg or anyone else heard of the new dymond turbo lipo's..http://www.rc-dymond.com..the prices are great, but the first time that I have seen them is in the new edition of the back yard flyr?
Old 05-25-2005, 12:54 PM
draganfly.com
My Feedback: (40)

Discharge curves of the Dymond are posted in the battery graph vault at rcgroups, batteries and chargers.
Old 05-25-2005, 03:16 PM
purehobby

Greg that was well put in explaining "The Best" Lipos. I like that.
Also I dont believe the scorpions are available yet but I have to admit sounds like a good thing. Lipo technology sure is getting better.
We just got in our 20C PolyQuest if anyone has an interest check us out as well. www.purehobby.com

Robert