Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > E-Flight Power Sources
Reload this Page >

Did I fry my new GP3300 battery pack

Community
Search
Notices
E-Flight Power Sources Ask questions or read about power sources as they specifically relate to e-flight including Lithium-ion, Li-Poly, Nimh and Nicad battery packs.

Did I fry my new GP3300 battery pack

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2005, 07:52 AM
skrez
My Feedback: (15)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Did I fry my new GP3300 battery pack

Hi folks,
I`m worried that I may have damaged my new GP3300 pack. I`m using a Hitec CS 340 charger which chargers MH batterys at 1.5 amps and has an auto cut-off when the battery is peaked. The 1st charge went well and the charger shut-off the battery when the pack was luke-warm ,about 3 hours of charging. I went to fly and discharged the battery until the esc shut the motor down. Last night I charged the battery again and checked the progress after 3 1/2 hours to find the battery still taking a charge and the pack was very hot. I also use this charger for nicads which charge at 3 amps and never have this any problems. Is this normal for these big GP packs to get this hot? I went to fly this morning and the packed seemed to be okay. Do you think the pack received damage from over charging? Thanks for your help.

Frank

Old 06-19-2005, 09:09 AM
dwilco1001

Default RE: Did I fry my new GP3300 battery pack

Frank

A full charge at 1.5amps would take 2 hours 12 minutes in theory, so I think that your batteries have not been charged for too long. However, I am surprised that they got hot charging at 1.5amps. If they seem OK keep using them, but you might have to take care to end the charge manually if you think your charger is not detecting full charge.

I have been using 2 packs of 3300MAH NiMH Kan cells for a couple of years now, charging them at 3.3 amps (1C) whilst they are still hot/warm after a flight and they are not showing any signs of deterioration yet. I use a Great Planes Triton charger which has always ended the charge automatically at full charge.

Once in a while I charge the batteries from cold at 0.3 amps as I have heard that this slow charge helps to keep them in good shape.

I hope this helps and wish you good luck with your batteries.
Old 06-19-2005, 09:36 PM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Default RE: Did I fry my new GP3300 battery pack

Occasionally, a peak detect charger will miss the peak. If the pack continues to function normally, I would not worry about it. Those cells can get far hotter than you can comfortably touch without sustaining immediate fatal damage.