Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > E-Flight Power Sources
Reload this Page >

Astro Flight Super Whatt meter manual

Community
Search
Notices
E-Flight Power Sources Ask questions or read about power sources as they specifically relate to e-flight including Lithium-ion, Li-Poly, Nimh and Nicad battery packs.

Astro Flight Super Whatt meter manual

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2005, 11:34 PM
verald_stevens
My Feedback: (11)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Astro Flight Super Whatt meter manual

Hey, I just purchased a Super Whatt meter for a guy on eBay and it didn't come with a manual, just a single piece of paper explaining what it can do. Does anyone know where I can obtain one? Or tell me the best way to use it find the best prop/gear box, ect..

Thanks
Old 07-18-2005, 07:17 AM
Red Scholefield
Banned
My Feedback: (9)

Default RE: Astro Flight Super Whatt meter manual

Don't feel bad. I purchased an X-Acto knife set and there were no instructions with it. Can someone tell me where to get some, Or the best way to use it to make a model airplane?[&o]
Old 07-18-2005, 07:23 AM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

That piece of paper is all you get. The Whattmeter measures Volts, and Amps, then calculates Watts and mAh used.

This information is very useful: You can tell if you're drawing too many Amps so you don't burn out the motor, ESC, or battery. You can tell how many Watts the power system is pulling, which will give you an idea of how well the plane will fly. You can look for problems, such as rapidly-dropping Voltage, which could indicate a damaged or overtaxed battery even if the Amps aren't too high. You can experiment with different cell counts, propellers, or gear ratios to see their effects on the system.

The Whattmeter is mostly a verification tool. It's not a replacement for good research or a tool like Motocalc. I suppose you could use it to design power systems by trial and error, but copying someone else's proven system and/or working one up on paper is far less expensive, and you don't end up with a pile of expensive batteries, props, motors, and gearboxes in the search for that one perfect combination.
Old 07-18-2005, 07:39 AM
exeter_acres
My Feedback: (2)

this site might help:

http://www.rc-cars-planes.com/wattmeter-connection.html

it is not your product, but it does the same thing.... there is a bunch of info there if you search around in the FAQ section
Old 07-27-2005, 09:12 PM
woodduck-RCU

Thank you exeter acres for the link about connecting meters, it was very helpful.

I also agree about the AMA Video, what a waste of postage and if you don't send it back immediately they
waste more postage trying to get it back.