Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > E-Flight Power Sources
Reload this Page >

Completely Newb Li-Po Question

Community
Search
Notices
E-Flight Power Sources Ask questions or read about power sources as they specifically relate to e-flight including Lithium-ion, Li-Poly, Nimh and Nicad battery packs.

Completely Newb Li-Po Question

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2005, 08:52 AM
jatkiss

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Completely Newb Li-Po Question

Ok,

So I have my Li-Po batteries, and I bought a fairly nice charger. I have everything set up and did my first charge. I have a couple questions. Since I am so new to the hobby, I want to make sure I am doing everything correctly with my batteries. So please excuse the newbie type questions...but I want to do it right the first time instead of making costly mistakes.

On the charger there are three buttons Charge, Discharge, and Cycle.

I understand what Charge does (charges up the battery)
I understand what Discharge does (drains the battery)
I think I understand what Cycle Does (drains the battery and then charges it up ??)

The question is, should I be just charge the battery up ? Should I discharge the batteries after I am done flying and then charge them up again ? Or should I always just cycle the battery ?

I know they are the basics, but I would love it if you guys could help me. Like I said, I just want to do it right the first time instead of screwing up the batteries.

- Jeff
Old 09-07-2005, 10:44 AM
FlightPower

Default RE: Completely Newb Li-Po Question

Jeff

Your deductions about the charger are absolutely right! A new lipo is usually shipped with about 80% charge, so in theory you could fly immediately. However, I would recommend that you charge your new pack before you fly. With regards to discharging, that is exactly what you're doing when you fly! Once your flight is done and the pack is 'empty', let it cool down if it's warm and then charge it again. Modern lipo packs should never need cycling at all, and should be stored full or close to fully charged.

Hope this helps,

Cheers

Jon
Old 09-07-2005, 10:44 AM
Red Scholefield
Banned
My Feedback: (9)

ORIGINAL: jatkiss

Ok,

So I have my Li-Po batteries, and I bought a fairly nice charger. I have everything set up and did my first charge. I have a couple questions. Since I am so new to the hobby, I want to make sure I am doing everything correctly with my batteries. So please excuse the newbie type questions...but I want to do it right the first time instead of making costly mistakes.

On the charger there are three buttons Charge, Discharge, and Cycle.

I understand what Charge does (charges up the battery)
I understand what Discharge does (drains the battery)
I think I understand what Cycle Does (drains the battery and then charges it up ??)

The question is, should I be just charge the battery up ? Should I discharge the batteries after I am done flying and then charge them up again ? Or should I always just cycle the battery ?

I know they are the basics, but I would love it if you guys could help me. Like I said, I just want to do it right the first time instead of screwing up the batteries.

- Jeff
Is the charger you bought specifically for lithium packs? You do not have to cycle lithium packs after use, just charge them again. What kind of charger did you get?
Old 09-07-2005, 02:21 PM
jatkiss

I am not in front of the charger right now, but I wannt to say accu charge or something like that. It will charge two batteries at once and I can program the different batteries into the charger so it is a trickle charge type thing. It runs off AC and converts automatically to DC as needed which is part of the reason I got it.

Thanks for the advice guys. That helps a TON !! I just simply charged the batteries up and it was done. Took about 40 min for one and an hour for the other. Although I had both my batteries charging at the same time so I am sure that slows things down.

Is it normal to take around an hour to charge up ?

Almost done building my Reflection Flat Out. Been practicing in the Simulator with a 3DE and feeling very comfortable with it. Also been using the ultimate bi-plane to get used to the controls of it for takeoff and landings.

Thanks again for your guys help, I am hoping to fly for the first time this weekend =- ).

- Jeff
Old 09-07-2005, 02:34 PM
twinturbostang

Good luck with your maiden. I've been flying my first electric plane (E-starter) for a few weeks now and having a great time. The epoxy has come back out a few times more than I'd like to admit. But that's the way it goes. Using a simulator is a HUGE help. It does a great job, but of course still does not come exactly to reality when actually flying a real plane. But it definitely is a great help when learing to fly nose in, inverted, and stuff like that. Gets you used to which way the controls should be going when in a particular attitude.