Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > E-Flight Power Sources
Reload this Page >

Are Lipos allowed on airline flights?

Notices
E-Flight Power Sources Ask questions or read about power sources as they specifically relate to e-flight including Lithium-ion, Li-Poly, Nimh and Nicad battery packs.

Are Lipos allowed on airline flights?

Old 09-27-2005, 04:02 AM
Red7fifty
My Feedback: (73)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are Lipos allowed on airline flights?

I have a trip planned, and want to bring a foamy to fly. Do major (United) airlines allow Lipo Batteries to be carried or checked in? It doesn't say "NO" on the airlines' website, but Tower's site says Lipo batteries cannot be shipped via air, hence the concern and question.
Thanks for anyone that has any firsthand information.
Old 09-27-2005, 06:37 AM
RK-Aircraft
My Feedback: (81)

Default RE: Are Lipos allowed on airline flights?

Well, thats a good question. One thing is for sure. If you ask, they will say NO. You might be OK if you roll it in a sock with your checked baggage. To be sure, I would ship it ahead to your destination. To get good advice, contact the guys at Desert Aircraft. They ship theirs stuff all over the world for their fly-ins.
Old 09-27-2005, 01:58 PM
INeedHelp
My Feedback: (1)

I have a friend that has flown with them with no issues.
Old 09-27-2005, 07:26 PM
gt_jumper

i know my distributors wont allow it, but the cels go through some pretty funky altitude changes and come back for more but i know its illegle to send them air express. i recon ya just leave it with ya gear, mobile phones have li-pos dont they???
Old 10-01-2005, 02:38 PM
mglavin
My Feedback: (31)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Josh and I have traveled all over the USA with foam and many Li-Po batteries via several different airlines. Never had a problem one. In some cases we ship the batteries along with a small shipping crate via Air freight which includes the batteries, aircraft and power supply. Other times we carry them along with us and check the baggage. We have been asked on occasion what the gear was for we always tell them model airplanes.

The batteries should be discharged and individually protected for safety sake.
Old 10-06-2005, 09:48 PM
VIC VIC

I've flown a couple of times to other countries from the US (and back) with some packs on my bags, no problem at all.
Old 10-20-2005, 10:17 AM
mikemiller

Check your cell phone. It's got a Li ion battery.
Old 11-05-2005, 08:57 AM
mackey1
My Feedback: (24)

Actually, Federal Aviation Regulation 175 covers this subject. However, it is tedious reading. All the airlines have to comply with this regulation. Airlines are then allowed to set forth their policies as long as they comply with the FAR. If the FAR says it OK to ship an item, an airline may still have a policy not to ship. You might call Fedex and ask them, they know.

Carry on baggage is no different from shipping in the belly of the aircraft. In reality, the airline will not know what you have unless you raise the issue.

Violating FAR 175 will result in a Civil Penalty ($$$$$$$$$$$$$).

Someone mentioned cell phones having LiPos. The FAR states quantities or sizes of items. It might be OK to have 25 bullets for a hunting trip but not 100. Just an example.

Wet cell batteries are a no-no.

Hope this helps. At least now you have a better idea of what the rules are and can make your own personal decisions.