Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > E-Flight Power Sources
Reload this Page >

Ncmh Battery.....is this a normal thing?

Community
Search
Notices
E-Flight Power Sources Ask questions or read about power sources as they specifically relate to e-flight including Lithium-ion, Li-Poly, Nimh and Nicad battery packs.

Ncmh Battery.....is this a normal thing?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2005, 08:39 AM
chilenissimo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ncmh Battery.....is this a normal thing?

Hi, i have a Formosa GWS whit a pack Sanyo Ncmh 8.4v 730mah and the power system gws/eps350c.
When i turn on (fully changed battery) and then full throttle, it last only 1 minute and then turn off.
is this a normal thing?
Old 12-10-2005, 10:12 AM
jfcgnv
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: Ncmh Battery.....is this a normal thing?

No this is not normal. There is a couple of explanations here. You did not say what type of esc, bec you have. If you are using a bec that is programed for Lipo's then it could cut off at around six Volts (2 Cells). This should be OK because your NiMh should cut off at around .9 per cell or 6.3 volts in your case. But check that if you can. Another problem is that if your NiMh battery is old it may have a cell that reversed polarity during high draw. I have had this happen. The battery appears to have charged normal and under load after about a minut one of the cells will give out and reverse polaritycausing the voltage to drop below your bec cut out.. If you can check each cell under load you will find the problem and you can replace just that cell if you are capible of doing that. The best bet is to just replace the battery pack.
Old 12-15-2005, 06:32 PM
jooNorway

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Ncmh Battery.....is this a normal thing?

It is also a matter of how hard your motor is loaded. Too big propeller and the current consumption is too hard.
In fact it could also be a problem if your NiMh`s are brand new...; they have to be cycled 4-5 times to deliver the juice.

And as mentioned: more datas on the equipment would help. ( Hope you don`t run static on ground for a whole minute! )