Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > E-Flight Power Sources
Reload this Page >

Thunder Power Li-Po question

Community
Search
Notices
E-Flight Power Sources Ask questions or read about power sources as they specifically relate to e-flight including Lithium-ion, Li-Poly, Nimh and Nicad battery packs.

Thunder Power Li-Po question

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2005, 11:17 PM
viper26

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thunder Power Li-Po question

I just got my first Thunder Power Li-Po and I have an issue. My ESC, the Electrifly SS-25, uses the Deans ultra plug and this Thunder Power battery has that funny 4 wire plug. Can I convert one to the other? Like maybe the 4 wire to the deans? I dont know what they are but there is a red white blue and black wire on the thunder power.

Any hints or knowledge here? I just switched from the honkin' Electrifly 1250 to this 1320 from thunder power and there is quite a bit of difference in weight and definitely in size. Anyway, I could use some help here.

Thanks folks!
Old 12-17-2005, 09:01 AM
elevation

Default RE: Thunder Power Li-Po question

In addition to that "funny 4 wire plug" there are a Red and Black pair with no connector. Use this pair to solder on a mating connector to that on your ESC. This heavier wire is used for the high current discharge through your ESC to your motor. The 4 wire connector is used to measure the balance of the cells within the pack. It is highly recommended to get a balancing system to keep your batteries performing well and to get good cycle life from them.
The best balancing systems being touted in the press are the ones from FMADirect.com The systems they provide cover-discharge too. Monitoring during discharge is equally important due to cells becoming unbalance, which is capacity as well as voltage. As you empty full cells, one becomes empty first. Continuing to discharge kills that cell. Even if they were all "balanced" full at the start.

Good Luck

Old 12-17-2005, 10:58 AM
viper26

Thanks for the help elevation, but that leaves me with another question. The gauge of wire on the side you spoke of is 18awg and my ESC has 16 maybe even 14awg. Willl this hurt anything stepping down like that?
Also, my pack came with the little red plug that plugs into my charge lead of my charger, not to open ended wires. If I remove the little red plug to put my Deans ultra in place, how will I charge? Does the balancer have provisions for my charger to plug into or should I just put a Deans ultra on my charger?
I am new to electric flight so if I sound like a retard, sorry.

Thanks again.
Old 12-17-2005, 05:22 PM
elevation

Viper,
The batteries are hopefully going to come with the proper gauge for the needed current. If the wire gets thicker at the speed controller it is probably due to the speed controller handling more current than the batteries. This is an indication that maybe the batteries can't handle the current needed by the motor. You may want to check, better to be safe.

WIthout the models of the stuff you are using I really can't answer your charger question.
Old 12-17-2005, 06:39 PM
viper26

Well, lets start with the battery: I have a Thunder Power 3c 1320mah li-po, Electrifly SS25 ESC (silver series 25 amp), Electrifly Rimfire brushless motor, and my charger is an E-flite celectra 1-3 cell li-po charger.

Does that help?

Thanks again, a lot! I know my gas and glow, but I am new to electric!