Community
Search
Notices
E-Flight Power Sources Ask questions or read about power sources as they specifically relate to e-flight including Lithium-ion, Li-Poly, Nimh and Nicad battery packs.

IMPULSE-ive Marketing

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2006, 05:38 PM
Greg Covey

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default IMPULSE-ive Marketing

Hi,

As the Director of Marketing for FMA Inc., I understand the need to promote your products and put them in the best light to attract customers. At FMA, we have always been more conservative in advertising and shy away from techniques that stretch the truth. We boast the facts and have serious pride in our products and overall integrity.

As an R/Cer, I have seen some of my favorite vendors push the limits of marketing and have held my tongue in 2005. In 2006, I have seen false marketing go too far and feel that I must speak to protect the users, the hobby, and the new Lithium technology that has boosted electric flight to new limits.

A new Lithium pack brand called Impulse is distributed by Ripmax in the UK and sold in the U.S. at [link=http://www.hobbypeople.net/mfr/implse01.asp]Hobby People[/link]. Impulse has started a new marketing trend to re-label manufacturers cells in an effort to boost the discharge "C" rating. Although there may be other misrepresented cells, I have uncovered two of them below.

The Impluse [link=http://www.hobbypeople.net/gallery/182353.asp]1450mAh (23C)[/link] cell is rated at 33.3amps "Maximum Continuous Discharge". This pack is actually made from Saehan 1900mAh (12C) cells rated at 22.5amps by the manufacturer. FMA has tested these same 1900mAh cells as (8C) 15.2amps. The cell starts to puff at 20amps continuous and reaches 166 degrees F.

Impulse also has a [link=http://www.hobbypeople.net/gallery/182323.asp]950mAh (25C)[/link] pack that boasts a 23.7amp "Maximum Continuous Discharge". This pack uses Saehan 1320mAh (12C) cells rated at 15.8amps by the manufacturer. FMA has tested these same cells and plans to rate them as 8C (10.5amps) at 140 degrees F for continuous discharge when used in the new Cellpro Slimline packs that will be available soon.

When used within proper rating limits, the Saehan (Gen III) cells provide good capacity and performance in a slender, light weight pack.

The misrepresentation of true cell ratings destroys the cycle life of the Lithium pack and costs the customer more money as it needs to be replaced in a few dozen cycles. The absurd ratings promoted by Impulse also put the R/Cer at risk as these packs will puff and possibly blow when used at the promoted current levels for extended periods.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki18726.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	395920   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg18111.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	84.6 KB
ID:	395921   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gl20823.jpg
Size:	40.7 KB
ID:	395922   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rl25714.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	33.8 KB
ID:	395923   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cn79012.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	44.9 KB
ID:	395924   Click image for larger version

Name:	Si70836.jpg
Size:	43.3 KB
ID:	395925   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zb59618.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	43.2 KB
ID:	395926  
Old 01-26-2006, 09:19 PM
greenflight

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: IMPULSE-ive Marketing

Greg,
Are the packs from modelflight.com, ( flightpower batteries) the same deal. They list some as 20c with 30c burts. Seems like you and a bunch of other people think that this type of disharge is a little ways in the future. It will be very useful when that comes though.
Old 01-27-2006, 08:04 AM
Greg Covey

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: IMPULSE-ive Marketing

My understanding is that the FlightPower packs are the same cells as PolyQuest. Although the cells are indeed good cells, they will not last long at the advertised C discharge ratings.

As people look for less expensive cells (and they should) the vendors with less integrity will find ways to promote their products to appeaze the customers weakness. Their short-term goals feed on our desire for instant gratification. What they fail to reveal is how many cycles the pack will last at that rating. The latest promotion from Impulse goes beyond even that false claim to a level that may be hazardous to the customer.

For a general understanding of Lithium cell longevity and safety, please read my article on [link=http://www.fmadirect.com/new_applications/LithiumPowerSolutions/index.htm]Lithium Power Solutions[/link]. Shortly, we will add cycle life data to the Cell Rating Spec so customers can see how temperature and discharge current affect the lifespan of their purchase. If people knew that their application only gave them 40-50 flights instead of 400-500 flights, they may feel empowered to change the setup otherwise the cost per flight can be quite high.