Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > E-Flight Power Sources
Reload this Page >

whats a better power source for field use

Community
Search
Notices
E-Flight Power Sources Ask questions or read about power sources as they specifically relate to e-flight including Lithium-ion, Li-Poly, Nimh and Nicad battery packs.

whats a better power source for field use

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2006, 10:12 PM
suzonka
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default whats a better power source for field use

whats a better power source for field use, a car battery charged at home befor going to the field or a jump start portable power pack that they sell in most auto stores with a handle and cables or a cigertte lighter pluge and some have an emergency light also built in.
Old 01-31-2006, 10:33 PM
Bevo

Default RE: whats a better power source for field use

I think the jump start works the best. I used my friends one day and it worked great. In fact I need to go buy one in the next couple of days.

Bevo
Old 01-31-2006, 11:59 PM
suzonka

ORIGINAL: Bevo

I think the jump start works the best. I used my friends one day and it worked great. In fact I need to go buy one in the next couple of days. I wanted it for my large power electric motor packs 8 to 10 cells nicads sub c is this what you wanted it for or a glow engine

Bevo
Old 02-02-2006, 11:56 PM
Bevo

Yes it would be for my electrics. The jump starts seem to hold a longer charge then just a normal 12 volt battery and I'm not one that likes to charge off my car battery. I own three big electric airplanes and would like to be able to charge them at the field and also my other lipo packs. I've tried the 12 volt batteries and they don't last as long.

Bevo
Old 02-03-2006, 01:06 AM
Time Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The only other thing I've seen other than guys going under the hood, hooking up chargers to their car batteries, is one gent who used a marine battery to power his field chargers.

Marine batteries are deep cycle batteries which tolerate being discharged to a lower voltage better than regular car batteries.
Old 02-03-2006, 01:39 AM
suzonka

well I hope its good to use a jump start because Im buying one this week end about $70.00 for a high powered good one The only thing is can they last all day if your flying the big Nicads or nimh batteries sub C cells rated at 2400mah at 8 cells ad you charge them about 6 flights or more