Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > E-Flight Power Sources
Reload this Page >

8C,10C,15C...which do I choose

Community
Search
Notices
E-Flight Power Sources Ask questions or read about power sources as they specifically relate to e-flight including Lithium-ion, Li-Poly, Nimh and Nicad battery packs.

8C,10C,15C...which do I choose

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2006, 09:51 AM
tommy157
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 8C,10C,15C...which do I choose

Okay getting a little confused here someone help me out...which is better higher C rating or higher mah rating?

I have a 3cell Li-PO/ 2000 mah / 10C battery turning a 12/6 prop on a E-Flite 480..on my amp meter it shows initial amps at 37 then starts to fall pretty fast and pack gets very warm after just a minute of running. Do I need higher amp rating or higher C rating or just smaller prop say a 11/7 ??
Old 02-17-2006, 06:22 PM
D.W. Schmidt

Default RE: 8C,10C,15C...which do I choose

Tommy,

Think your pack is headed for an early death if you puch it this hard. As for me, I usually try to use my Lipos so that the max current they see is about 70-80% of the "claimed" C rating. For example, if a 2200 mAh pack is rated at 10C, its max continous current should be 20 amps or less. Therefore, I would pick a 2500 mAh or larger pack to fly the plane. Yes, it is a little bit heavier and perhaps a little more expensive, but it should make the pack last a lot longer in the long run. For your situation, I might look at a pack that is rated at 4000 mAh. I understand that www.maxamps.com has some pretty good packs in this range. An alternative would be to parallel two of the packs you are using, to get a 4000 mAh pack. That would work as well.

If you can use a smaller prop that will keep the max amps under 20 and still fly the plane well, that would be the cheapest and lightest solution.

Hope this helps.

D.W.
Old 02-17-2006, 06:28 PM
tommy157
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: 8C,10C,15C...which do I choose

Thanks DW,
You confirmed what I was thinking. Got a 11/7 prop today.

Tommy