Community
Search
Notices
E-Flight Power Sources Ask questions or read about power sources as they specifically relate to e-flight including Lithium-ion, Li-Poly, Nimh and Nicad battery packs.

balancer??

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2006, 08:46 PM
Mitty

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default balancer??

Good day guys.
Lipo balancer??I am new to the eflight.Please anybody explain me what is lipo balancer.And what is balancer leads on the battery pack for?I saw on the web description of one of the packs mention one of those balancer tabs..Please explain...

Thanks !

Mitty
Old 05-05-2006, 08:29 AM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Default RE: balancer??

Basically, "balancing" is the process of charging each cell in a pack individually to keep them all at the same voltage for best performance, best safety, and best battery life.

Like any type of battery, the individual cells in a LiPoly do not discharge evenly during flight. Over many charge and discharge cycles, the difference between the voltages of individual cells in the pack get larger and larger. Some become overcharged, and some become undercharged. Overcharging a LiPoly cell is a Bad Thing(tm). It normally leads to cell damage and short battery life, but can also cause the problem of "silver sausages," where the cell goes bad and puffs up. Most serious of all is the potential for the cell to catch fire.

LiPolys are "stubborn;" they don't self-balance like a NiCd or NiMH because they don't self-discharge like a NiCd or NiMH. Each cell needs to be treated individually, at least occasionally, to make sure they are all "in balance," all at the same voltage.

Within the last year or so, manufacturers have started selling integrated balancing systems that allow you to balance packs every time you charge, to maximize cell life and safety. This usually consists of a device called a balancer that simply discharges the high cells until all the voltages match, or a balancing charger that charges each cell individually.

To access each cell, packs are now coming with extra "dongles" (NOT a technical term) attached to them that are wired so that each cell can be charged and monitored individually. These are also called "balancing taps" because they tap the voltage off each cell.
Old 05-05-2006, 06:54 PM
Mitty

Matt!Thnk you very much for taking time and explaining it to me.Great explanation!
Mitty
Old 05-07-2006, 07:00 AM
Greg Covey

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mitty,

Here is more information on the change in Lithium packs to using node connectors.

[link=http://www.fmadirect.com/new_applications/LithiumPowerSolutions/index.htm]Lithium Power Solutions[/link]
Old 05-07-2006, 09:29 AM
Iceman30
My Feedback: (14)

Balancing has brought two of my 3cell packs from 5 min flights BACK to 10 min 3d flights...1300mah...reason was one cell on each pack was low enough to the min voltage even when charged meaning the other 2 were high and the charger was cutting off. Balancer pulled high cells down to match the low..then charged...ALL CELLS went to full charge...pack was only charging 500-600 mah on my triton...after balancing...take a flight....triton was putting back about 1000...I never fly my packs totally dead...they don't last as long..I set my timer on my radio about a min early...so far have A LOT of cycles on my batteries..I fly almost every day in the evening in my culdisac....